Saturday, September 30, 2017

MARTYR CHILDREN. Pt. 1


I have often read one of the most singular chapters in all of the New Testament, and shook my head in abject wonder.

Hebrews Chapter 11

“They lived in caves and dens of the earth. They died by the sword. They were sawn asunder. They were devoured by lions.”

Of course, the most infamous of all such environments was the Roman Coliseum. And in that place, and on a regular basis, the followers of Jesus Christ gave the last full measure of devotion.

In the last few days I have been possessed with a singular thought; a thought which has never before permeated the wrinkled gray matter inside my cranium.

Mentally I have put myself in the place of an onlooker sitting a few rows above the dusty floor of the Coliseum. And as I sit there in rapt attention, I notice a sort of cell-like contraption rising out of the earth. And as accustomed as I am to it, for I have been here before, I immediately recognize it as an open-doored, two-sided elevator; which has delivered its human cargo from the bowels of that massive arena.

And with this, the occupants of the elevator file out into the sunshine, midst the cheering of thousands in the grandstands, very much like themselves; save for the predicament with which they contend.

As suddenly as the first elevator appears, another rises and a whirlwind of dust momentarily obscures whomever, or whatever fills up the space within. And no sooner than the ‘dust devil’ spins its way against the far wall than the assembled throng cheers, yet louder. For out of the cage stumbles several emaciated African lions; purposely starved to encourage predation.

*To be continued

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 70. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or 'save' please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment