Sunday, September 10, 2017

WILL YOU ALSO GO AWAY. Pt. 1


Pt. 1

There’s a poignant scene in the New Testament which describes the moment when a significant number of Christ’ outer circle abandoned Him. And I have always felt this particular story depicts the human side of Jesus more so than any other passage of scripture.

Upon learning of these defections, the Savior cast mournful eyes on His twelve disciples, and asks,

“Will you also go away?”

I was listening to my favorite radio broadcast this morning. “Night Sounds” with the late Bill Pearce. The topic of the day was, “The Healing of Emotions.” Half-way through the half-hour broadcast Bill offered a confession and shared a story which I’d never heard him tell before.

“I have experienced something very hurtful in my own family. You see, a few years ago my oldest son informed me, ‘You are no longer my father. You are dead to me and I to you. Any connection we ever had is over forever.’”

I was flabbergasted. Among hundreds of these broadcasts to which I’d listened, I had never heard this story. As a result, I contacted Jean Brown, the only employee of “Night Sounds” radio, and asked her whether Bill and his son ever found a way to reconcile their estrangement. Though Mr. Pearce developed Parkinson’s Disease in his latter years, and was admitted to a nursing home, and ultimately passed away, the (by this time) middle-aged man never contacted his father again. And sadly enough, Jean went on to inform me that he  died a couple years after his father’s passing.

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 43. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or 'save' please include the credit line, above












No comments:

Post a Comment