Monday, September 25, 2017

BE THERE FOR ME DAD



If I would have kept a diary of my life as it has played out thus far, it would have been filled with joys and heartaches that come from being alive. I am also positive that it would reflect the times when my Father had been there for me through it all. For instance, the following would be some true excerpts;

Dear Diary, My Daddy taught me how to ride a bike today. At first, I wanted to learn very badly, then after I fell down a million times, I said I didn’t want to learn. But daddy said “Get on the bike and try again. You can do it kid” I was so mad at him at first for making me try again. But after a few more tries, I did learn and now I can really ride my bike well.

Dear Diary, My teacher in class today told us to learn our times tables for the 8’s and 9’s. I tried to learn by myself, but it was too hard. Daddy came in and found me crying. He said, “I understand how hard they can be. Here let me help you. You can do it kid.” By supper time I knew them all and he even taught me how to do the 10’s.

Dear Diary, We are on vacation today. Diving is great. I just learned today how to drive. After I hit the water a couple of times, I got out, sat down. and pouted. But Dad came over to me and said “You’ll never learn how to dive by just sitting there, so get up and do it again. You can do it kid.” Oh how I did not want to, but I did anyway because Dad said so. I tried again and he was right. I can do it!

Dear Diary, Well, it’s happening again. I started a new school today. I am so tired of moving. We left Florida and now I am going to school in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Dad took me to school today.  I had that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach, but Dad prayed, hugged me and said, “Don’t worry. You’ll make friends here. You’ve got a great personality like me!  You can do it kid.” Well, he made me laugh and I feel much better.  Oh, by the way, I made a million friends today.

Dear Diary, Why did those people say those awful, mean things about my father? Don’t they know that he prays every day for them and that he loves them very much.  It’s like they’re slapping him in the face.  But Carlene and I are going to help him by planting bombs in those mean people’s houses. We told Dad but he said. “We must forgive them even though we don’t want to. We can do it kids, can’t we?”

Dear Diary, I wish Dad would leave me alone. He keeps treating me like a kid. I am 16 years old and practically an adult because I’m so mature. So why is he acting like I can’t do anything? Like He makes me come home by 12: 00 am at night. He also wants to meet the guys I go out with, and, listen to this, he wants me to tell him where we are going. Can you believe that? I am too old for this, I think I can do all this by myself, thank you.

Dear Diary, I am going to College today. My father drove me up to Arlington to Aunt Anita’s place and she, Wade, and I will be driving out tomorrow. I am glad Dad came. He must have known I was nervous for he said, “Don’t worry, honey. You’ll do fine out there. Besides, I know you can do it kid.” I know he is right, he always was before.

Dear Diary,I am going to read you this in church today. Hope you don’t mind. I just want the people to know the kind of man that is leading them. He is a very strong man, but forgiving. He also loves the Lord with all his heart mind and soul. But I’m really going to read this because I want to say, “Thanks for being there for me, Dad!”

By Karen K. Qualls – Father’s Day 1983

(Karen Qualls, whom I knew when she was a child, passed away seven years ago, but left some wonderful excerpts from her diary which have been posted here)

No comments:

Post a Comment