Saturday, September 2, 2017

COUNTING ON HER FINGERS. Pt. 1


Pt. 1

I served in the capacity of a substitute teacher for a full decade and a half, and I can’t say I enjoyed my somewhat dubious and oft unappreciated role; though without fear of contradiction, I can say I ‘enjoyed’ some interesting experiences.

Speaking of appreciation, (or the lack thereof) having reported to Westwood Middle School one day, I was summarily informed that the assignment which I’d ‘plugged into’ had been changed. To be sure, I could have ‘raised Cain’ and refused to comply; as a substitute teacher cannot be compelled to take an assignment he or she did not request. However, rather than ‘make waves’ and ‘create a stir,’ I somewhat grudgingly agreed to accept my academic billet for the day.

Normally, in my capacity as a substitute teacher, I was the ‘head honcho,’ and filled in for a teacher who was on leave or had experienced an emergency. However, on this particular day, I was expected to fill in for a teacher’s assistant in an ESE classroom; historically not my favorite environment.

And having signed my name on the dotted line, I walked down the covered walkway, and into Mrs. Watson’s classroom. The matronly, sixty-something year old teacher was sitting at her desk when I strode through the door.

“Hello, I’m Dr. McDonald. I’m your teacher’s aide for the day.”

And with this, Ethel Watson lifted her head, seemed a little perplexed about my ‘Dr.’ title, (as I am a PhD level therapist) and greeted me with a “Welcome to my illustrious classroom, Dr. McDonald, “

I sat down next to the teacher’s desk, and we exchanged some small talk, as we waited for the bell to ring, and the children to file into the room.

(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 66. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 

If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above






No comments:

Post a Comment