Thursday, June 1, 2017

KFC CHICKEN OR LIBERACE. Pt. 3 of 4

(See Pts. 1&2)

Narcotics Anonymous has devised what I consider to be a good definition for Insanity:

“Making the same mistakes, again and again, and expecting different results.”

Speaking of support groups, I led a Christian-based 12 Step Program for two years. And speaking of “making the same mistakes, again and again,” among the counseling groups which I have sponsored, and among literally thousands of counseling clients, I have witnessed far too many people making far too many mistakes; again and again.

I often tell my clients a hypothetical story of a woman who walks down her local sidewalk and falls into a manhole. Well, that would obviously be thought of as an accident. However, if the same woman walks down the same sidewalk over the next thirty days, and falls into the same manhole thirty more times, well, this sort of behavior can no longer be considered an accident.

One of the best examples to which I was exposed over my two and a half decades of counseling ministry is that of a young man named “Eddie.” He and “Sandy,” his wife, came to me for counseling…several times. And since Eddie was addicted to various substances, I encouraged him to join our “Celebrate Recovery” group. He agreed.

However, as with so many of my charges, Eddie never quite found the way to divest himself of his habit. And thus, I suggested something I have suggested to dozens of such people over the years, (and which dozens of people have neglected to do;) that he enroll in a year-long residential treatment program.

And after a few more “fits and starts,” he actually did.

*to be continued

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 56. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin



No comments:

Post a Comment