Monday, June 12, 2017

SEEING THE GOOD IN EVERYTHING (Not). Pts. 1-2

Now I’ve seen it all.

I admit it, I spend far too much time on Facebook.
At any rate, yesterday I ran across a group page which I didn’t “like” but to which I responded.
The name of the page was/is:
“See the Good in Everything.”
Granted, I didn’t spend a lot of time reviewing the philosophy behind the page, but the jest of its doctrine is that, well, there is good in everything; every person, every circumstance, every event, and we ought to affirm it.
For anyone who knows me, you might well suppose that I responded to this strange notion with a notion of my own.
“Uhmmm, I cannot buy into your philosophy that we ought to see the good in everything. People make some pretty hideous choices, as the result of the free will God has granted to them. How can anyone see any good whatsoever in the rape of a little child? How can anyone affirm your imagined ‘good’ as the result of the slaughter of six million Jews? And in a more recent case, how can you watch the video of the woman who was chained in a storage unit by a sexual pervert; only to be released by some heroic police officers who discovered her?”
(and)
“Good? If we call evil ‘good’ we are liable to sink into an ‘anything goes’ mindset. Suddenly, there is no right or wrong. Good or bad. All things become relative. No, I can’t see the good in everything. I will always be convinced that there is a personal Satan, and that he will be tormented in the fires of hell for a million years.”
Of course, like any good liberal the creator of the “See Good in Everything” page responded in short order.
“Well, this is the beauty of a free will. We can believe whatever we wish to believe.”
I accented that, yes we could, but that for the life of me I had no idea where she was coming from, and just because we are free to believe something


…doesn’t make it true.

Pt. 2

I mean, you and I could step up to a bus with a placard on the top which reads, “Cincinnati,” and step aboard. We could entrust our faith and belief to the assurance that the bus was on the road to Cincinnati, but if the driver forgot to change the placard, we could easily wind up in Waukegan.


Even the most flaming liberal, (whether a believer, agnostic or atheist) will almost unilaterally admit that not ALL things are good, and that, as a matter of fact, there is some mighty bad stuff going on in the world around us.
I can tell you that I came away from the experience a bit miffed that I could not convince ‘Susan’ of the significant error in her belief system. More so than with most individuals who embraced what I have thought of as a radical mindset.
“See the Good in Everything.”
I mean, c’mon. I know, everyone quotes that scripture when bad things happen.
“We know that all things work together for good to them who know the Lord; to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
“Work together for good.”
From my perspective, this is a far cry from “seeing good in everything.”
I mean, if this is the case I guess we should have allowed the Nazi hordes to march unabated and undeterred across Europe. And I suppose we should step aside, if and when a mass murderer is on the loose, and we are in the process of losing some of our best and brightest young college students. And what of Ebola and HIV? Well, shucks, we certainly don’t want to do a darn thing about such pandemics. After all, we need to …see the good in everything.


See the good in everything?

Horse hockey on a chef salad


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 58. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above
********
Due to a design flaw on this blogsite, if you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 & 2016, you will need to do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blogs will come up in the right margin.

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blogs will come up in the right margin.


No comments:

Post a Comment