Friday, June 23, 2017

THREE JIMMIES. TWO BILLIES. ONE RICHARD


THREE JIMMIES

During the 20th century decades of the 80’s and 90’s the two most ‘famous’ (or ‘infamous’) ordained ministers of the largest Pentecostal denomination in the world

…failed morally, (and failed miserably).

It is not the purpose of this particular story to spend much time with the moral indiscretion of the one, Jim Bakker, (as I been given a more personal entre into the life and failings of the second, Jimmy Swaggart).

Suffice it to say that the former of the two was sexually involved with a church secretary, Jessica Hahn, and provided her a payoff from his television ministry funds; in order to maintain her silence. ‘Jimmy’ was also charged with fraud for having over-sold partnerships in his Heritage USA theme park vacation package, and pocketing millions of dollars of the proceeds for himself. Ultimately, Rev. Bakker was sentenced to 45 years in prison, but served only 5 of the total. Interestingly enough, the much older and the much humbled, now non-denominational minister has returned to television, and authored a book entitled, “I Was Wrong.”

As I previously inferred, the primary focus of my story today involves the ‘second Jimmy.’ (re. Jimmy Swaggart).

But to digress a wee bit.

The former events had come and gone, and the world entered has not only entered a new century, but a new Millennium. It may have been 2001 or 2002, (the exact year escapes me now) but as the staff counselor at a local church, I was involved in a second weekend outreach at another location about 20 miles from the first.

I was waiting on a counseling client one Saturday, (who apparently was a ‘no show’) and suddenly there was a knock on the door of the pastor’s office; which I used in his absence. I stood up from pastor’s desk, looked through the peep hole, and swung the door open.

Standing before me was a man of 55 or 60 wearing, as I recall, a conservative business suit.

He spoke.

“Hello, I’m Rev. Jim Reintz. Is Pastor Steverson here?”

To which I responded,

“Well, no sir. He’s not generally here on Saturdays, …unless perhaps you and he were scheduled to meet.”

I suppose the second of my sentences came across more as a question, (than a sentence).

I have long since forgotten whether he had scheduled with Pastor S., but upon reflection, it is apparent that his quest was not satisfied, as the good man of God and I proceeded to while away the next hour together.

I hadn’t heard this preacher’s name before, or at least I “hadn’t put two and two together.” It was not long, however, before I realized to whom I was speaking. Not only was this minister the former pastor of the Best Man at my wedding, and had performed his nuptial ceremony, but he had later served as the chief associate of the ‘Jimmy’ of whom the majority of this story is devoted.

Readers, unless you have been on an extended trip to a distant galaxy, or in a coma the past thirty years, (or are not yet of legal age) no doubt you are all too familiar with the misbehavior of the man I have chosen to call here, “the second Jimmy.”

But to summarize…

It seems Jimmy S. was a “loving kind of man” (as Forrest Gump might have put it) and that in the Year of our Lord 1988, (for lack of a better phrase) he “got caught with his pants down.” (Almost literally). No doubt, the (less than) devout minister had been engaged in previous trysts, but it was at this point in time, he was discovered in the arms of a prostitute. (Strangely enough, the second Jimmy had previously condemned the first Jimmy on national television for the allegations against him. Talk about “The Pot calling the Kettle black”)!

As a young man in the early 70’s, I recall having seen a few of the religious notables of my day. The flamboyant Kathryn Kuhlman held a one night crusade in Tampa which I attended. And the second Jimmy did likewise. (As I recall he added a couple of musical selections to his repertoire that evening; as he was (and is) an accomplished speaker, pianist and soloist).

But to return to my guest…

My new-found acquaintance reminded me of the events which naturally fell together after the second Jimmy was ‘discovered’ and how that he almost begged Swaggart to seek counsel after his shenanigans became known.

After having been “turned in” by another less than faithful pastor, Swaggart rendered a contrite public apology to his congregation; one which was “chuck full” of “weeping and gnashing of teeth.” The video can still be viewed on the internet today. (I admit. It is difficult to watch).

In spite of Jimmy’s heartfelt display, the (not so) good minister nay-sayed any effort to tell him what to do, and refused to comply with his denominational board’s insistence that he step down from the pulpit for an extended period of time. While Jim Reintz, (a third Jimmy, but of an entirely different caliber) assumed the senior pastorate for a short time, it wasn’t long before our second Jimmy reassumed his role in that Louisiana church and television ministry. Ultimately, the Assemblies of God defrocked ‘Rev.’ Swaggart, and he continued his ministry in a non-denominational status.

And then, hardly half a decade transpired before

…he got caught with his, (well, you know) again.

The cameras no longer pan the audience in the second Jimmy’s church. Almost thirty years after this Jimmy’s first moral indiscretion it is apparent that hundreds have drifted away from his congregation, (and no doubt thousands have left his television ministry, and subsequently his long distance tithing fold). But like the first Jimmy, he continues to “reach, teach and keep” a selected genre of believers. To be fair to my perspectives, I can only wonder why anyone would invest their trust in and continue to contribute to a ministry in which the central figure has not only yielded twice to a compromising situation, but who has refused to submit to the demands of the denomination with which he had associated himself.

Three Jimmies. Two who made choices which have followed them throughout the remainder of their lives. One who followed his moral compass and refused to be deterred from the path which God had set out before him.

As a counselor, I share a concept I refer to as “Short Term Satisfaction vs. Long Term Results,” or what might just as well be referred to as “The Scarlett O’hara Syndrome.” You may recall the movie, “Gone With The Wind.” As the film concludes Scarlett is heard to say, “I’ll just have to think about that tomorrow.”

Too many Christians and non-believers, alike are prone to make choices based on what feels good at the time; while all the while ignoring the potential long term results; not so very different from Scarlett O’hara.

Two Jimmies who seemed too well acquainted with Scarlett’s manner of thinking and course of action, and who as a result reaped shame and sorrow when ‘tomorrow’ finally arrived.

Two Jimmies on a date with the proverbial Scarlett O’hara.


TWO BILLIES


While I was born in in Dade County, the most populous of Florida’s counties, at the age of 5 my parents moved their little family to Polk County; one which vied for the former’s geographical size, but with a comparatively smaller population.

The county seat is located in the 3rd largest, (but original) city. Bartow. It was in this environment that I grew up, and experienced what I consider to have been an almost idyllic life. I attended elementary school at one of the two primary schools in our little town, and went on to attend junior high and high school at one of its two secondary schools.

I suppose the most prominent developments of the mid to late 50’s and decade of the 60’s, during which period I moved through childhood, adolescence and young adulthood, were the Vietnam War, the inauguration and subsequent assassination of President Kennedy, and the first manned lunar landing.

I recall watching a black & white television set in Mr. Ball’s 6th grade classroom as President John Kennedy took the oath of office, and just two years later having heard the dreadful news that this same man’s life was snuffed out by a lone gunman in Dallas. And there was Walter Cronkite and Huntley/Brinkley who night after night described the awful events at that time transpiring in South Vietnam; half a world away from the tranquility of my hometown. Who among us who lived, and breathed and moved at the time will ever forget Neil Armstrong’s, “One small step for man…?”

And yet, there were two local events, long since overshadowed by these more recent national and international ones, which set the spiritual tone for my little community, and (little known or appreciated by me at the time), as an individual.

For you see, exactly 30 years before yours truly was ushered into the world, and just short of four decades before I slapped the tether ball or ran the bases on my elementary playground, a momentous gathering occurred on that same dusty field. In 1919, 8,000 strong, the residents of our sleepy little town gathered there to listen to a former National League ballplayer turned evangelist. Billy Sunday. Not having been around at the time, I turned to a few archival videos to get a flavor for this good man’s preaching style. What I saw and heard did not disappoint. He could shake his fist and kick his leg with the best of them. Though born in Iowa, his tenor and accent seems almost southern. More crucially, of course, his message of sin and salvation.

And four and a half decades after Rev. Sunday graced our little community with his presence, another evangelist by the name of ‘Billy’ challenged the people of Bartow in much the same manner as his predecessor. At the time, I think there must have been some in the local area who had sat under the ministry of both Billies.

Interestingly enough, (at least to me) Rev. Graham had not committed to an Easter sunrise service that year, and a last minute inquiry by the city mayor was affirmatively received by the itinerant preacher. And even more interesting, (at least to me) the event was scheduled for an outdoor amphitheater; almost within “shouting distance” of my boyhood home. And while my mother attended that memorable Easter sunrise service, I chose to stay home. (Something I still regret to this day).

Almost a century has come and gone since Billy Sunday visited our fair city, and a full half century since the second Billy retraced his footsteps; both paradoxically having wound up in an hamlet hardly befitting their respective national notoriety. The first in a field in which I would ultimately play kickball and learn to square dance. The second, half a mile from my childhood home.

Who can know and who can say what sort of spiritual dynamic the two evangelists of the same name, almost five decades separating them, and the crowds who accompanied them, set in place in my “little neck of the woods,” and which had exercised some lingering, ethereal influence over my peers and me? At least in my mind’s eye, I can imagine the two Billies having prayed not only for those whom they could see round about them, but for them whom they could presently not see, but who would come after.

And in like fashion, I pray for those who are not yet, but who are yet to be; for my descendants, and those whom God will set along their pathway. For all the Billies (also, my own name) and Susie’s and Joseph’s and Annie’s which God has destined to live, and move and breathe, and realize impact on the same good earth.



ONE RICHARD

I was listening to my favorite radio/internet 24/7/365 broadcast this morning, “Nightsounds” with the late Bill Pearce. Interestingly enough, (at least in terms of the focus of my story) today’s program was titled, “Submission.”

And whereas, modern critics of scripture are prone to cite one of the best known biblical texts, “Wives submit yourself to your own husbands” (Ephesians 5:22), the verse which precedes it is rarely alluded to. (But I will return to that passage shortly).

Given the subject of my previous blog, (“Two Jimmies”) you might imagine I was more than a little interested when Mr. Pearce referenced the “PTL Club,” and its founder, Jim Bakker, and subsequently referred to Rev. B.’s lieutenant, and ministry president. Richard Dortch.

Of course, both Bakker and Dortch were indicted for, and determined to be guilty of federal charges of mail fraud and conspiracy; related to PTL’s fund raising strategies, including the marketing of oversold (and for all intents and purposes) non-existent vacation time shares for $1,000 “a pop.”

And perhaps more hideous and “character-killing” than the foregoing financial scandal, air-conditioned dog houses, and their exorbitant salaries was “Rev.” Bakker’s sexual encounter with church secretary, Jessica Hahn, Dortch’s approval of a quarter million dollar payoff to “keep her quiet,” and her public allegation of rape.

Ultimately, both Bakker and Dortch were forced to resign from PTL and deprived of their ministerial ordination by the Assemblies of God, and were sentenced, respectively, to 45 years and 8 years in federal prison. (However, both sentences were later overturned on appeal. The former was released after having been incarcerated for five years, and the latter after serving three).

Pt. 2

I think it is relevant to ask, what variables existed in the PTL television empire which caused it to be susceptible to this kind of behavior? I believe Richard Dortch enumerated the chief one when he later reflected, (paraphrased)

“Neither the PTL Television Network, nor the primary persons in this ministry were under submission to anyone or anything. There was no one to hold us accountable.”

And that scripture to which I alluded earlier, and which so adequately describes the good reverend’s perspective in the matter?

“Submit one to another as unto the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:21)

Richard Dortch was “called to the ministry” at the age of 15 when Oral Roberts came to town and he sat under what he would describe as his spell-binding anointing. Later, he would fulfill that calling as a pastor, and subsequently, District Superintendent of the Illinois District of the Assemblies of God. Ultimately, “Richard” labored as a missionary to Belgium, and founded a Bible school there. Of course, the presumed pinnacle of his success was his appointment as President of the PTL Television Network.

And then…

“How the mighty are fallen!”

I have often shared a concept with my clients and counseling interns.

“Character is the result of thousands of small decisions made over the course of a lifetime.”

And while I am loathe to imply the ultimate character of someone like Rev. Dortch was forever blackened by his association with, and his compromises at the PTL Television Network, there can be no doubt, whatever, that his reputation was forever sullied.

After the much maligned Rev. Dortch was released from prison, and having repented for his indiscretions, he applied for, and was restored to his previous status as an ordained minister. He went on to host a long-standing broadcast on the “Christian Television Network” called, “America’s Prayer Meeting.” Dortch also wrote and published several books on the topic of restoration.

Pt. 3

It is only recently that I reflected on the irony of having experienced the privilege of meeting and spending time with Rev. Jim Reintz, Jimmy Swaggart’s associate minister (and) having once “run into” Rev. Richard Dortch.

After his release from prison, the latter of the two took up residence in, and established his television ministry on the west coast of Florida; about 50 miles from my own “neck of the woods.” And given the good minister’s proximity, it was not altogether improbable that my wife and I momentarily happened to be in the same place at the same time as he.

Jean and I occasionally frequented a steak house in Winter Haven; (the former home of the world famous, “Cypress Gardens”). And on one particular day in the early to mid 90’s, we decided to frequent it again. Walking in, we moved through the serving line, and finding a table we sat down. Suddenly, I happened to look to my right, and immediately recognized a familiar figure; sitting alone at a table within feet of our own.

Rev. Dortch seemed lost in thought, and almost oblivious to his surroundings. He ate slowly, and it seemed he stared straight ahead; allowing me to observe him as much, and as long, as I so chose. He seemed so ‘real’ in person, and though an historical notable of our time, there was little or nothing about his presence which impressed me.

The television makeup was missing, and his hair seemed grayer than I remembered. Wrinkles lined his forehead. And while it never occurred to me at the time, I have since surmised that if I “had it to do over again” I might have stepped over to his table, introduced myself, and asked him to join us for lunch.

Afterward

Rev. Richard Dortch left us in 2011; just prior to his 80th birthday. There can be little doubt that the good he accomplished in his lifetime outweighs his momentary indiscretions. And while, (as I believe) at the end he possessed a sterling character, his reputation will be forever sullied, (as will that of his associate, Jim Bakker); as the result of their tenure at that infamous broadcast ministry.

A good man who, (unlike an associate of the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, who refused to compromise, but challenged the immoral and unacceptable) made some very bad choices, and paid dearly for his momentary lapse in character. A man when faced with the decision to stand for the right, or fall for anything…fell for anything.

A man who, when given the choice to choose well…did not. A man who, when presented with the decision to submit to the authority of almighty God,… bowed down to the gods of arrogance, compromise and financial gain.

And yet another man, (to whom I have previously alluded) whom, when faced with similar choices, chose well…and came forth as gold.

William McDonald, PhD. Copyright 2017.













































Pt. 3

It is only recently that I reflected on the irony of having experienced the privilege of meeting and spending time with Rev. Jim Reintz, Jimmy Swaggart’s associate minister (and) having once “run into” Rev. Richard Dortch.

After his release from prison, the latter of the two took up residence in, and established his television ministry on the west coast of Florida; about 50 miles from my own “neck of the woods.” And given the good minister’s proximity, it was not altogether improbable that my wife and I momentarily happened to be in the same place at the same time as he.

Jean and I occasionally frequented a steak house in Winter Haven; (the former home of the world famous, “Cypress Gardens”). And on one particular day in the early to mid 90’s, we decided to frequent it again. Walking in, we moved through the serving line, and finding a table we sat down. Suddenly, I happened to look to my right, and immediately recognized a familiar figure; sitting alone at a table within feet of our own.

Rev. Dortch seemed lost in thought, and almost oblivious to his surroundings. He ate slowly, and it seemed he stared straight ahead; allowing me to observe him as much, and as long, as I so chose. He seemed so ‘real’ in person, and though an historical notable of our time, there was little or nothing about his presence which impressed me.

The television makeup was missing, and his hair seemed grayer than I remembered. Wrinkles lined his forehead. And while it never occurred to me at the time, I have since surmised that if I “had it to do over again” I might have stepped over to his table, introduced myself, and asked him to join us for lunch.

Afterward

Rev. Richard Dortch left us in 2011; just prior to his 80th birthday. There can be little doubt that the good he accomplished in his lifetime outweighs his momentary indiscretions. And while, (as I believe) at the end he possessed a sterling character, his reputation will be forever sullied, (as will that of his associate, Jim Bakker); as the result of their tenure at that infamous broadcast ministry.

A good man who, (unlike an associate of the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, who refused to compromise, but challenged the immoral and unacceptable) made some very bad choices, and paid dearly for his momentary lapse in character. A man when faced with the decision to stand for the right, or fall for anything…fell for anything.

A man who, when given the choice to choose well…did not. A man who, when presented with the decision to submit to the authority of almighty God,… bowed down to the gods of arrogance, compromise and financial gain.

And yet another man, (to whom I have previously alluded) whom, when faced with similar choices, chose well…and came forth as gold.














No comments:

Post a Comment