Wednesday, June 21, 2017

NOT YOUR LOAN COMPANY


My wife and I have lived in what I might describe as a nice upper-middle class community for the past thirty years. I don’t believe there’s another housing area quite like it in this part of Florida. A few hundred homes built in the early 80’s populated by triple that many oak trees; original to the land when the subdivision was first envisioned, and left exactly where they were.

The house next door has been a rental from “day 1,” and a myriad of interesting folks have darkened its threshold. A single woman with a minor child, a Navy recruiter, a blond-haired hippie type under suspicion for the manufacture and distribution of drugs, and … an African-American fella who built wooden pallets in his back yard.

From 6am to 6pm, seven days a week, Melvin and his son would hammer the moments and minutes and hours away, (and any possibility of taking an afternoon nap ran the spectrum from nada to nil). The middle-aged man owned (or rented) a flatbed truck, and as he completed his pallets he would stack them front to back ‘til not a square inch of space remained.

A couple of times my neighbor knocked on my door, and requested help dislodging his truck from the mud. The first time I drove my car into his back yard, surveyed the situation, and realized there was nothing I could do to help him. (Talk about a mechanical David and Goliath).

And then he “kicked it up” a notch.

My doorbell rang.

“Yes, Melvin. Can I help you?”

“Hi Bill. Uh, I wonder if you could loan me $5 for gas.”

“Well, sure Melvin.”

(And I proceeded to retrieve my wallet, and pull out a “5 spot.”)

He thanked me, and retraced his recent steps towards home.

Several days later, my doorbell rang.

I opened the door, and (you guessed it),

“Well, hello Melvin. What can I do for you?”

“Uh, could you loan me $10 for gas?”

There was something very familiar about this scenario; (with one minor alteration). He had doubled the previous amount.

Something was, as they say, “rotten in Denmark.”

I thought, (and almost said)

“Melvin, you move into a nice neighborhood and shell out $1200 a month for rent, and you can’t come up with a few paltry dollars for gas?”

Well, against my better judgment I left Melvin standing at the door, retrieved my wallet, pulled out the money, and “crossed his palm” with it.

(Again), he thanked me, and set a course for the pallet yard.

And while I wish I could say, “That was the end of it,”

… it wasn’t.

The doorbell rings.

I open the door, and our conversation takes a decidedly different direction.

“Hello, Bill. How are you today?”

“I’m fine, Melvin.”

“Uh, Bill I’m wondering if you could…”

Speaking of “could,” I could just imagine his next five words.

…“loan me $20 for gas.”

And before he could finish his mercenary meanderings, I responded with,

“Melvin, I’m sorry. I can’t be your loan company,”

… (and was tempted to point towards my ‘No Soliciting’ sign).

To be fair, my wood-banging neighbor had repaid the previous two small loans, (without interest, mind you) in short order, but I could just see this happy circle spiraling into infinity.

Melvin’s grin faded a few decibels, and with this, he struck a familiar path towards home.

A few days later the old flatbed truck, with Melvin in command, pulled out of the driveway for the last time. And though I had prophesied that day would come, I admit I felt rather sorry to see him go;

… If only for the final words I felt compelled to share with him.


William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 23. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above
********
Due to a design flaw on this blogsite, if you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 & 2016, you will need to do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blogs will come up in the right margin.

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blogs will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment