Thursday, June 8, 2017

I AM BARABBAS. BARABBAS IS ME. Pts. 1-2


Having made a decision to follow Jesus, too few young Christians ever receive any formal mentoring.

Granted, they pick up on the theology, tenants and traditions of our faith ‘hit and miss’ as the result of sermons, interaction with clergy and seasoned lay persons, etc., and I cannot discount the value of it. Nonetheless, having never had a mentor in my own life, I perceive the inestimable worth in this discipline, and have made a priority of reaching, keeping and teaching those whom I refer to as “potential persons of excellence.”

In my capacity as a pastoral counselor, it has been my privilege to mentor dozens of young and not so young adults over the years, and   to create a wealth of theological and practical teaching resources.

Lately, I have been teaching a topical series on the “9 Things a New Christian Should Know and Do.” This week’s topic focused on the Communion, or Eucharist.

And as I was engaged in a long-distance instant messaging session with ‘Betty,’ who lives in the great state of Ohio, (and in whom I have the most profound respect and expectations for the future), and as we reached the bottom of Page 2, it ‘hit’ me.

“Then he (Pontius Pilate) released Barabbas to them.” (Matt. 27:26)

Of course, anyone who has been ‘in the Way’ for long has heard this story.

The Jews had handed Jesus over to the Roman governor for (a trumped up, quickie) trial, and as a result Pilate attempted to barter with them; in order to secure the release of our Lord. Surmising that if he offered to release a notorious criminal, an insurrectionist and murderer, or Jesus, there would have been no question of the logic of sending Barabbas to the cross; (rather than the notion of his being freed, and suddenly in their midst once again).

Of course, the Jewish leaders would have none of it. And thus, they shouted,

“Give us Barabbas.”

I had simply never seen it before.

Oh, of course I had read the words, but I had never experienced the inspiration behind the words. And as Betty and I interacted, and I typed out one key stroke, after another, I wrote,

…”Barabbas is Betty. And Betty is Barabbas.”



Pt. 2


Yes, indeed. Barabbas is Betty (and) Betty is Barabbas.

But for that matter, Barabbas is Bill (and) Bill is Barabbas.

And not to wear it out, but

…Barabbas is Insert Your Name (and) Insert Your Name is Barabbas.

I have often wondered what the condemned insurrectionist, Barabbas, after having been set free, did with his life. Whether or not he realized how singular he was; having been rescued from physical death in God’s providential scheme to rescue millions upon multiplied millions from spiritual death. We have been left no account of it, but I like to think Barabbas experienced an epiphany and, ultimately, surrendered his life to the Lord Jesus Christ. I think he might have exercised an inestimable impact on his generation, and led countless persons into the arms of the Savior.

Old Testament scripture is clear about the providential, prophetic plan of God which was manifested in the sacrificial life and death of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Like Barabbas, each and every person who was ever conceived and privileged to experience life on this earth was born into sin; and they needed a Savior.

Granted, you and I may have never committed a hideous sin, as Barabbas did, but each and every one of us have inherited what might be referred to as a ‘Sin Gene.’ For you see, our first parents, Adam and Eve, yielded themselves to the evil one, and spiritually infected, as it were, their immediate and extended family; even to this very day.

But while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us, and in so doing voluntarily accepted the punishment intended for you and me. And as a result, God raised Him from the dead and set Him at His right hand; to rule and reign forevermore, and to judge the quick and the dead.

Yes, Barabbas is Bill (and) Bill is Barabbas.


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 30. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above
********
Due to a design flaw on this blogsite, if you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 & 2016, you will need to do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blogs will come up in the right margin.

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blogs will come up in the right margin.












No comments:

Post a Comment