Friday, June 2, 2017

THOUGH DEAD, YET THEY SPEAK. Pts. 1-2



As a Christian mentor, I have appreciated the opportunity to bless, help, encourage and guide those who are in the process of coming after me, and who, figuratively, stand upon my shoulders. Regrettably, while I have been impacted by numerous pastors and believers over the years, I never had anyone whom I considered a mentor; that is, with the exception of dead people. (Yes. Dead people).

You see, I have been immeasurably influenced by the lives of a handful of men and women upon whose shoulders I have chosen to stand, as they have stood upon the shoulders of others, and ultimately, upon the shoulders of the Good Shepherd, Himself.

People such as Jim Elliot, the courageous missionary, who, along with four other missionaries, was murdered on the banks of an obscure river in Ecuador, as they were involved in an attempt to reach a savage tribe of Indians referred to as the Auca’s.

And then there was Elizabeth Elliot, Jim’s wife, who, with the passing of time, was able to make inroads into the lives of this fearsome tribe, and evangelized them in the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. An amazing story. An amazing sacrifice, and subsequently, an amazing sacrificial effort.

I will never forget the story of Eric Liddell; a Scottish gold medal winner in track in the 1924 Olympics. While he was a great runner, it was not, ultimately, for laurels and gold he ran. Eric went on to serve as a missionary to Mainland China, and found himself caught up in the Japanese invasion of that nation; as the world experienced the “Second of the Wars to End All Wars.”

This dedicated servant of God made the decision to remain in China; while sending his wife and children to Canada. His decision was a fateful one, as Rev. Liddell was interned by the Japanese, and continued to minister to his fellow internees. Eric never left the confines of the camp, but succumbed to an untreatable illness prior to the end of that terrible war.

Pt. 2

As I have previously inferred, there have been many along my almost seven decades on this planet, and half century as a Christian, who have irrevocably impacted me, but none have served as mentors, except those whom I have never had the privilege of meeting; (but eagerly hope to do so “on the other side”).

I think also of Peter Marshall, the Scottish missionary to America, who pastored two of the largest churches in Atlanta and Washington D.C., and who, ultimately, served as the Chaplain of the United States Senate. I will always remember the wonderful characterization of his life as portrayed in the movie, “A Man Called Peter.”

And there was Amy Carmichael, the British missionary to India, who founded an orphanage, and rescued countless little girls from ritual prostitution in Hindu temples. While there, Amy wore the traditional Indian clothing, and stained her skin with coffee grounds, so as to better identify with the local population. Having “set up shop” in that troubled place, this precious woman served for decades and never returned to her native soil.

Amy gave instructions that, upon her death, there was to be no headstone placed upon her final resting place. But rather, a bird bath was erected there, and a simple one word inscription was engraved upon it.

“Alma” (Mother)

She who never married, nor ever bore biological children has become a mother to thousands. Her work continues, as the orphanage which she founded continues to minister to the people whom she loved.

And the foregoing are representative of those whom I have identified as, and chosen to be my mentors.

I believe I have chosen well.

“Though dead, yet they speak.”


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 56. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment