Sunday, June 11, 2017

THE ATTITUDE OF INGRATITUDE. Pts. 1-2


Lately, it seems I have run across several stories about the association between human beings and their animal friends, as well as the association which so often exists between different species of animals; and more than anything the spirit of gratitude displayed by the lesser of God’s creations.

In one case, I read a story about a law enforcement officer who was involved in a drug bust, and during the raid “Sergeant Ryder” discovered a little, non-descript puppy walking around in a stupor. A blood test on the poor creature came up positive for cocaine. As a result, the puppy was entrusted to a no-kill shelter.

Clicking on a video beneath the article, I watched a minute long film featuring the good sergeant, as he visited the shelter a few weeks after the rescue of the puppy. Suddenly, the precious pooch came bounding across the grass at full speed, and jumped into the arms of its savior.

In another article, I learned about a German Shepherd which, upon finding a hummingbird covered in ants, refused to leave the bird's side; until his owner rescued it. And as with the previous illustration, there was a video attached to the article.

The caption which flows across the screen informs me that the finely feathered fowl flies everywhere Rex walks. And indeed, as the German Shepherd approaches his water bowl, the bird is just inches away; patiently hovering in close proximity, and appears to share a bit of H2O with his canine friend.

Of course, there are any number of stories about the relationship between a man and an animal, as well as that of different species of animals with one another, and the ability of the latter to express the deep-seated emotions of love and gratitude.

Pt. 2

And having watched the video of the colorful, little hummingbird and its attitude of gratitude towards the dog which rescued it from certain death, I was struck with not only the petite nature of the animal, but the correspondingly smaller size of its brain.

 And yet, for the minuteness of its anatomy,

…it could not, and would not forget.

Speaking of an animal’s ability to display the tenderest of emotions, I have just published a book which bears a title with this very implication.

“A Man’s Tribute to His Devoted Dogs”

During my life-time I have been privileged to own four dogs. (It is amazing to consider that six decades have come and gone since I was blessed to care for the first one). I have seen it firsthand. I have witnessed their devotion. I have been privy to their innocent, almost fierce commitment to a human with whom they have most to do.

Of course, as a military retiree I am all too aware of the multitude of accounts of war dogs and police dogs which have literally taken a bullet or fallen at the hands of a demented human being, rather than allow their handler to suffer harm.

Animals have so much to teach us,

…especially concerning the attitude of gratitude.

For you see, too many times during the course of my counseling and teaching ministries, I have been taken for granted, or cast aside, and several times by fellow human beings with whom I thought I’d developed an inseparable bond.

In other, admittedly less significant circumstances, I have sent a birthday or Christmas gift to a relative or friend, and as often, as not,  have never received so much as a card, or “thank you” in return.

The attitude of ingratitude

As scripture assures us, “These things ought not to be.”

I think the lesser of God’s creations, the animals, have much to teach us.


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 58. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above
********
Due to a design flaw on this blogsite, if you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 & 2016, you will need to do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blogs will come up in the right margin.

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blogs will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment