Monday, October 24, 2016

THE CASPERS IN OUR LIVES. Pt. II. (a.k.a. Summoning Up Harry)

Ghosting

In the previous blog I addressed this rather ‘strange & wonderful’ 21st century word and the definition thereof.

At first light the term has little or nothing to do with the topic of ghosts, until we examine it carefully. (And I have wondered if the creator of the word had any thought, whatsoever, of the manner in which I would, ultimately, characterize it).

As I previously inferred, (particularly) in my role as a mentor I have experienced the loss of established friends who began as disciples; (for they had submitted themselves to being taught). And what has been especially hurtful is their almost unilateral unwillingness to explain themselves.

Readers, it almost goes without saying, the loss of such ‘near and dear’ people in my life has been excruciating, and the healing process has been difficult, at best.

In Part 1 of this article I expressed how that Jesus, Himself ‘walked the way of the cross’ well before you and me, (and in this case, I am referring to some difficult emotions He experienced during the three years of His formal ministry; not the least of which was the loss of valued friends). 

GHOSTING - “To break off a valued and established relationship; without so much as a word or a reason, and with little apparent concern for he or she whom one has chosen to dispatch.”
(McDonald Paraphase)


Yep. Been there. Done that. Bought the T-shirt. Once on the ‘giving end.’ Scads of times on the ‘receiving end.’

And it hasn’t been cool. And it hasn’t been keen. And it hasn’t been swell. And it hasn’t been groovy. No, my friend. It has hurt like
h_ _ _. The wounds are slow to heal, and prone to fester.


A famous magician and daredevil by the name of Harry Houdini had a fascination for the occult, and promised his wife that if he preceded her in death, and if he was at able to make it happen, he would posthumously revisit her. Well, as it fell together, Houdini died at a relatively young age, and for some time thereafter Mrs. Houdini conducted séances in an attempt to contact her dearly departed husband. To no avail.

Interestingly enough, (I think) in the Old Testament there is a reference to this very type of activity. Bear with me since I believe it is important here to cite the words of that particular passage. (Are you ready)?

Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had mourned for him and buried him in his own town of Ramah. Saul had expelled the mediums and spiritists from the land.

The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all Israel and set up camp at Gilboa. When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart. He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him.
Saul then said to his attendants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her.”
“There is one in Endor,” they said.
So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. “Consult a spirit for me,” he said, “and bring up for me the one I name.”
Then the woman asked, “Whom shall I bring up for you?”
“Bring up Samuel,” he said.
The king said to her, “Don’t be afraid. What do you see?”
The woman said, “I see a ghostly figure coming up out of the earth.”
Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?”
“I am in great distress,” Saul said. “The Philistines are fighting against me, and God has departed from me. He no longer answers me, either by prophets or by dreams. So I have called on you to tell me what to do.”


Samuel said, “Why do you consult me, now that the LORD has departed from you and become your enemy? The LORD will deliver both Israel and you into the hands of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also give the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines.” (1st Samuel, Chapter 28)


(to be continued)

  By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 44. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment