Saturday, October 22, 2016

SIMON IS ME. I AM SIMON. Pt. 2

(See Pt. 1)

“Take up (my) cross and follow me.”

Dying simply isn’t convenient or easy. 

Over the course of two thousand plus years, millions upon millions have accepted Christ’ challenge to do so; some physically, many more spiritually.

I can think of no better scripture which characterizes this principle than,

“I am crucified with Christ. Nevertheless, I live. Yet not I, but Christ lives in me. The life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God; Who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” 

(Galatians 2:20)

However, as inferred, above Christ didn’t stay dead, and His physical death on the cross allowed for our spiritual resurrection from the dead.

“Take up your cross and follow me.”

A few years ago, I was watching an interview between an anchorman and a priest on FOX news, and the topic happened to be the late Pope, John Paul, who had only just passed away.

The priest began to speak about the sufferings of the pope, how that after the assassination attempt he suffered pain the rest of his life, and as John Paul aged he developed Parkinson's Disease which proved to be extremely debilitating, as well. And yet for all his suffering, this good priest continued to travel, and minister to his people.

Near the end of the interview the Catholic cleric quoted Colossians 1:24, 

"Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Christ."
And the newsman responded, "I don't understand. What is unfinished about Christ' sufferings?"

To which the kindly priest, with a sad twinkle in his eye, 

responded...

"…Our Participation.”

Only the living have been given the capacity to suffer, and we are not immune to this responsibility (and yes, privilege), no more than Christ was before us.

Simon is Me. I am Simon.

(to be continued)


  By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 44. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment