Thursday, October 6, 2016

THE POWER OF WORDS



As I write this blog, I am listening to a segment of “Night Sounds” radio with the late Bill Pearce. The topic tonight is the inestimable power of words, both positive and negative. (However, this particular piece of writing will focus on the negative).


As I continue listening to the radio program, the accomplished speaker, baritone soloist and trombonist just finished detailing a story in which he appeared on stage at a given venue for a week. Well, it seems the concert host insisted on referring to Bill’s thining hair every time he introduced him to the crowd. 


Mr. Pearce muses that, 


“It would have been fine if ‘Jim’ had mentioned my lack of head covering once or twice, but you can imagine how wearisome it got to listen to his verbal tirade night after night” 


(and) 


“It seemed rather ironic that my momentary friend possessed quite a physical attribute of his own, which he might well have attended to, and thus as my series of concerts came to an end I bid my good audience farewell with,


‘It’s been great to be with you this week, and incidentally, you may have noticed, though my host mentioned my thining hairline on a nightly basis, not once did I refer to his expansive waistline.’”


(and)


“Well, my friends, in all of this neither of us won. While Jim laughed with me, I knew he wasn’t laughing inside.”


A few years ago I drove over to a nearby cemetery to install a Confederate Memorial Cross on the gravesite of my great uncle. Having planted it next to his headstone, I stepped back to admire my handiwork. Suddenly, I experienced the worst pain you can imagine on the left side of my chest.



Well, there was no thought, whatsoever, of a heart attack; for this was obviously an attack from an outside entity. Looking down, I witnessed an insect crawling across my bare bosom. An inch and a half long. Wingless. Alternating black and orange fuzzy stripes across the posterior third of her body. I immediately brushed it off. (Rather like shutting the barn door after the horse has gotten out). 


The Velvet Ant or ‘Cow Killer.’ 


I had seen a few of these solitary insects in my time. The female of the species is wingless. The male has wings and is capable of flight. It is a type of wasp. When I was a teen a small scorpion dropped off a tree and landed squarely between my eyes. More than a theorist, I can speak from experience. Having been stung by honeybees, yellow jackets, and a scorpion, I can assure you none of these creatures ‘hold a candle’ to the Velvet Ant. 


The impacted area, (good phrase, I think) reddened and swelled and burned like, well, h_ _ _ for the next couple of hours. 


I recall a few times in my own life when another person’s words stung worse than the pain that hapless, harmful creature inflicted upon me that day. 


And one time, in particular.


Jesus knew the power of words. He used them on a daily basis. And as the God-man, He knew the sting of ill-spoken words. There was an occasion in His life when many of His outer circle deserted Him. In God’s good wisdom He has not made us privy to the words some of these former disciples shared with, or about Him. But no doubt, the words stung Him to the core. And having experienced the loss of these formerly faithful followers, He wistfully queried the Twelve, “Will you also go away?”


That old adage, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never harm me” is complete and utter rubbish. 


Words 


Hurt


James, the half-brother of Jesus, said it as well as anyone ever did,


“If anyone appears to be religious, but cannot control His own tongue, he deceives himself, and his religion is vain.” (James 1:26)



As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, it behooves us to be wise with our words. To build up, and not tear down. To encourage, to praise, and yes, to admonish, but seasoned with love, and lavished with care. To emulate the One, who having taken off His outer garments, girded Himself, stooped and washed His disciples’ feet.

Father God, 


Give me wisdom to speak life and not death. Help me to control my tongue. Give me the wherewithal to refrain from vindictiveness and hurtful words; for the power of words, whether positive or negative, may last a lifetime. 


In Christ Name. 


Amen.

 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 43. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.




No comments:

Post a Comment