Sunday, October 23, 2016

AND WE KNOW THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER...FOR BAD



“And we know that all things work together for bad to those who love God…”

Oops. Was that a typo? Did I misspeak? “All things work together for bad?” Did someone change the text of Romans 8:28 while we were sleeping?

Well, yes and no. 

Okay. Before you accuse me of the sacrilege of misquoting God’s Word, all the foregoing to say, sometimes it seems for all the time and effort and blood, sweat and tears…and prayer we devote to our faith that we can’t win for losing.

I’ve been there, and I’ve been there multiple times over the years. I’ve questioned God and His plan, and His seeming lack of compassion and inability to act on my behalf.

I don’t mean to imply that I am among the super-echelon of those who suffer, but I’ve experienced my share of difficulty, disillusionment and doubt.

My daughter’s mental illness. Divorce. Cancer. My wife’s struggle with that same awful illness. Broken limbs. Major surgery. The death of a best friend. The rejection of friends in whom I had invested extreme care and confidence. A grandson’s ongoing battle with a significant medical malady. Financial loss.

Yes, sometimes it seems God has, (like Elvis) left the building.

“All things work together 

…for bad.”

Well, No.

I don’t believe it for a moment.

For you see, I have often said, 

“The closer I get the easier it has become, (and the greater my perspective.”)

There’s an old story of the missionary couple who, upon returning to America on a great ocean liner, found themselves among a throng of people celebrating Teddy Roosevelt’s arrival in New York Harbor. The president had been big game hunting in Africa, and as he prepared to disembark the ship, the bands were playing and a myriad of people were cheering along the docks.

As old Henry watched the spectacle unfolding around him, he quipped to his wife,

“Martha. It’s just not right. The president spends a week in Africa hunting animals, and he returns home to acclaim and applause. We spend half a century ministering to the masses of Africa, and we return home and there’s not one person to greet us.”

With a sad twinkle in her eye, the missionary’s wise wife responded with,

“But remember, Henry

…we’re not Home yet!”

No, as servants of the Most High God, we’re not home yet.

As Christians, we are pilgrims on the earth, and I have been comforted by any number of scriptures which have put things in perspective for me.

 “No temptation has taken you except that which is common to man. But God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted above that which you are able, but will, with the temptation…make a way of escape.”

(1st Cor. 10:13)

(and)

“My brothers, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you’re suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.” 

(1st Peter 4:12)

(and)

“For I reckon the sufferings of this present time aren’t worthy to be compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us.”

(Romans 8:18)

(and)

“I will give you riches in darkness and treasures in secret places.”

(Isaiah 45:3)

(and)

“We have not a High Priest who cannot be touched by the feelings of our infirmities…”

(Hebrews 4:15)

Like the old missionaries, we are just passing through. No, my friends,

…we’re not home yet.

And in spite of any evidence to the contrary,

“We (can be sure) that all things (truly) work together for good to them who love God…” 


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 44. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.








No comments:

Post a Comment