Tuesday, October 18, 2016

LOST (AND FOUND) GIRLS


Two years ago a terrorist group referred to as Boko Haram, and aligned with the infamous Islamist ISIS organization, kidnapped over 200 female students from a Nigerian government school. The vast majority were Christians.

At that time I decided I would add one of the young girls’ names to my daily prayer list; as an easy to remember representative of the entire group of students. 

Gloria Mainta

And thus, every morning about 4am, as I have made my 10 mile bike trek, I have prayed for the safety and rescue of Gloria and the other 200 plus adolescent girls. 

Immediately after the kidnapping of the children, Boko Haram released a photograph of the entire student body; robed in loose dark burkas, and only their anxious faces visible. Since that time, numerous stories have been circulated of the teen-aged girls’ plight. Some were apparently sold into physical and sexual servitude to men of neighboring countries. Others became involuntary ‘camp followers,’ (or so-called ‘wives’), and traveled wherever the Islamic terrorist chose to take them. As a result, these unfortunate children were forced to grow up quickly, and do whatever they had to do to protect themselves from torture, or execution, and maintain their sanity. Children were, consequently, born to these children. 

Over the past two years I have thought of and prayed for Gloria literally hundreds of times; wondering whether she, or any of the Lost Girls would ever ‘see the light of day’ again, and hoping against hope that some or all of them would be rescued.

Of course, with the passing of time I expect all but the most avid of prayer warriors have forgotten the Lost Girls; with the exception of their parents, and a comparatively small number of conscientious persons around the world. 

Interestingly enough, (if this is the most appropriate phrase) as Gloria Mainta is a representative of the 200+ Nigerian children, so are these Lost Girls representative of a larger number of men, women and children taken captive by terrorist and other radical organizations of every conceivable stripe. As a sad for instance, the ‘Islamic State’ has kidnapped innumerable pre-adolescent boys, provided them rudimentary political and para-military training, and installed them on their front lines, as little more than ‘human shields;’ in their struggle to create what they describe as an ‘Islamic Caliphate.’ 

This week the Nigerian government announced the release of 21 of the Lost Girls. I only learned of the release tonight. Of course, I was nothing short of elated, and immediately brought up the list of the Lost (and Found) young ladies; hoping to see Gloria Mainta’s name among the rescued. 

I scrolled down the list.

Comfort Amos

Blessing Abana

…Glory (or Gloria) Mainta!!!

The young lady whom I, (and, no doubt, a myriad of others) had prayed for countless times over the course of 30 months was finally free! And it occurred to me that the odds her name would have been included on the list were only 1 in 10. And I immediately wondered if it were remotely possible that my prayers had, in the scheme of things, ‘topped off’ God’s providential decision to move on her behalf. I like to think so, for it has been an inestimable privilege to pray for Gloria, and a thrill to see her set free!

I admit it. I feel like shouting…

Hallelujah! Well, Glory!

It occurs to me that I should begin praying for another one of the Lost Girls; who has yet to gain her freedom. Please join me in praying for

…Grace Paul 

   By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 44. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment