Friday, October 7, 2016

MY RUBBER DUCKY (I Mean Chicken) Pt. 2



Funny, how quickly man or beast develops a bond with an animate or inanimate object. For when I pretended to repossess the rubber toy, Queenie would have none of it. Such growling and howling and snapping of her not so pearly whites I’ve never seen. And she immediately feigned as vicious an attack on me, as her real one on the unfortunate toy chicken. 


Ultimately, Queenie grabbed that orange rubber chicken by the neck and dragged her to her doggie bed. And as the day wore on, I decided it was about time for her to ‘go out.’ 


I yelled for her.


“Queenie, let’s go pee pee.”


And with this my pet pooch hesitantly aroused herself and slowly walked towards me. Then suddenly, (not unlike Lot’s wife) she looked back.


It seems to me the foregoing episode is not unlike the antics of some Christians who expect not only their needs, but all of their wants to be met. None of that, “Give us this day our daily bread” stuff. Nope. So much like the ‘Bob’ character in the movie, “What About Bob?” I can still see Bill Murray standing outside that New Hampshire diner, and screaming at the top of his lungs, as he attempts to make an impression on his psychiatrist. “I need. I need. Gimmee. Gimmee. Gimmee.”


Possessiveness? Yes, and plenty of it. Some of us fight ‘tooth and nail’ to get what we want when we want it. We dishonor ourselves and our Master in fostering a “short term satisfaction and to h_ _ _ with long term results” mentality. With some it’s nothing to take credit where credit isn’t due, and leave a compatriot ‘high and dry.’ Not unlike Queenie’s antics when she stole the bone from her little canine peer.


Defensiveness? Plenty of that attribute to go around. Immature, lukewarm and backslid Christians too often give in to the unmentionable and unacceptable, too easily excuse and repeat their behavior, and in so doing bring discredit on the Gospel of Christ. 


Queenie looked back, and too many of our weaker brethren are prone to do so. The writer of the Gospel of Mark affords us an interesting example from the life of Jesus.


17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”


18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good.  

19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’”


20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”


21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”


22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. (Chap. 10)


Far too many among us have surrendered their earthly destiny, (and even their heavenly one) to the gods of wealth, power and fame. 

They began well, but 


…they looked back.


Jesus admonished us to seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, but I think many of God’s people have settled for rubber chickens.


  By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 43. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment