Saturday, September 24, 2016

59299 & My True Confessions. Pt. 3

(Or Everything Wrong I Ever Did at UPS, and Can No Longer Get in Trouble for)

As the sun set on the western horizon, I generally found myself on Thornhill Road, and when my last package was recent history I pulled over into a grassy area of a mobile home park to complete my paperwork. 

One August day I repeated the same closing ceremony which I had repeated many times before. With one unique difference. As I pulled away and prepared to turn right in pursuit of the local UPS center, my back tandem tires rolled over …something. There was no mistaking it. Bump! Bump! Unbuckling my seatbelt I negotiated the three steps to the street, 

…and saw him lying in the grass where he had crawled; after I’d so rudely rolled over him with my 3.5 ton Brown Bessie. 

The German Shepherd lay dying, and there was little or nothing I could do about it. After a few remaining spasms his ribcage relaxed, and with a soft gasp, he breathed his last. To say I felt badly would have been a gross understatement. The dog had apparently crawled up under my truck to escape the heat, and when I cranked the engine he’d had very little time to rouse himself before…

I attempted to locate his owner to report the situation, but to no avail. No one seemed to know anything about the unfortunate canine, but having notified my supervisor, I was forced to leave the beast lying in the spot where he’d crawled; after having been so rudely dispatched. Funny, it is only in the last few minutes that I have reflected on the notion that, after the mishap took place, the poor beast crawled out from under the vehicle.

Ever since that fateful day I have mentally branded the animal with the name, “Shadow;” since he’d found his way under my delivery vehicle, and into the shadows, to escape the heat of the day. As a spiritual person I tend to believe all pets go to heaven; at least those which we claim for heaven. And would it surprise you to know, I expect to see Shadow there? (Well, I do). One of the first things I plan to do, one of the first actions I plan to take when I arrive there is 

…to apologize to Shadow for having dispatched him before his time, and so rudely robbing him of a long and happy life.

(To be continued)


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 43. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment