Thursday, September 15, 2016

Forgotten


Six or eight years ago, when I was teaching a couple of classes at a local university, I met a young exchange student from South Korea named, “Yoko.” 

As a result of my having taught, and gotten to know Yoko, I spent some “off duty” time mentoring her, (and she, subsequently, enrolled in an intern program which I developed, and provided to young adults preparing for life and ministry). This lovely young lady also spent time in our home, and I edited several of the papers which she completed for other courses in which she was enrolled.

In the end, my wife and I attended Yoko’s graduation exercise, and shortly thereafter she made the journey back to her home country. Even after her return to South Korea, Yoko and I exchanged messages related to her elementary school teaching position, a graduate program in which she was enrolled, her family and a particular love interest.

And then,

… nothing

For you see, a year or more ago all communication stopped. Well, to be fair all two-way communication came to a screeching halt. I continued to send Yoko messages for a while; though there was never any response.

Oh, I still “keep up with” her. That is to say, I am still able to view her social media page. Yoko was recently married to a fine, young naval officer, finished her Master’s in Education, and to my knowledge is still teaching.

I have saved some of Yoko’s old emails in which she referred to me as her favorite professor; (though I think she might have found herself in the minority of students who thought of me this way). And I still enjoy looking at some of those undergrad photos of this precious young lady. In one she is dressed in a traditional robe, and surrounded by the hardware of a traditional Korean tea ceremony.

Last night Yoko visited me in a dream. The first dream I ever experienced which included my former student, intern and friend.
In the midst of this nether world, Yoko and I were seated at a table, and I sat directly across from her.

Only a few words were exchanged, and I was responsible for them all.

“Yoko, where have you been?”

(and)

“I have missed you, my friend.”

Yoko just sat there looking at me, and not so much as a word escaped her lips.

And while I have entitled this particular blog, “Forgotten” I have no illusion that I am not remembered. I think both Yoko and I valued, and still cherish the little season in which we knew one another, and enjoyed one another’s friendship and camaraderie. 

But with all such mysteries with which we are confronted, I simply cannot account for her silence.


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 38. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index



No comments:

Post a Comment