Saturday, March 17, 2018

THE MOST PROFOUND THOUGHT I EVER THOUGHT. Pts. 1-2

My pastor mentioned something in the pulpit last Sunday which has profound implications.
His sermon was based on the premise,
“The Most Profound Spiritual Thought I Ever Had.”
During the course of his sermon, Pastor Kern cited a couple of examples from history.
William Jennings Bryan, the famous attorney, claimed the most profound thought he ever had was that God, through the auspices of His Son’s death on the cross, reconciled man to Himself, and adopted us as His very sons and daughters.
Karl Barth, the great theologian, said the most profound thought he ever had was,
“Jesus loves me. This I know. For the Bible tells me so.”
Lately, I have concluded that the most profound spiritual notion I personally ever entertained was Christ’ willingness to limit Himself.
For you see, based on countless references within the 66 books of the Bible, we understand that God is omnipotent, (all powerful), omniscient, (all knowing) and omnipresent, (everywhere at all times). And these three variables were true of the Trinity in His entirety. Father, Son and Holy Spirit…
Until Jesus, the Son, followed through with the age-old plan to put on flesh, dwell among us, die on the cross on our behalf, was buried, rose from the dead, ascended into the heavens, and will, one day, return for His Church; the Body of Christ.
As a believer, this is the most profound thought I ever had. But allow me to elaborate.
Pt. 2
"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse; whose rider is Faithful and True. With justice our Lord judges and wages war. His eyes are like flaming fire. And on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on Him which no one knows but He, Himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven followed Him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen; white and clean." (Rev. 19:11-14, McDonald Paraphrase)
Over the past 2,000 years, Christians have been taught that Jesus would return in bodily form; just as He left to return to heaven. The last book of the New Testament assures us of this fact.
And how did Jesus limit Himself, and what attribute did He deny Himself?
When He was conceived in Mary’s womb, until this very day, and forevermore, Christ chose, (and continues to choose) to identify with mankind. And while God, the Father, and God the Holy Spirit maintain the attributes of omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence, Jesus is now limited to the first two of the three attributes.
I have often told my counseling clients and interns that,
“If Jesus were to appear in this office, this is the only place He would be.”
And more often, than not Jim, or Suzie will look at me in abject astonishment, as if to say,
“I don’t get it.”
And honestly, I don’t get it that they don’t get it.
Jesus is now, and is forevermore confined to a body, and nothing speaks to His astounding love for the human race more so than this. We have been told that,
“We shall see Him as He is.”
I’m counting on it.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 79. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment