Sunday, March 4, 2018

THE BEST CHOICE


I have always thought it a bit unusual that the length of my father’s and mother’s lifespans were so similar. My dad died in 2012, and lived 85 Years, 11 Months and 10 days. My mom passed away in 2016, and lived 85 Years, 11 Months and 20 days. I mean, how strange is that?

At this writing, I am a year shy of 70, and based on the averages, it occurs to me that doesn’t give me a whole lot of time to finish the things I still want to accomplish.

Granted, I haven’t been sitting on my duff. Not to “toot my own horn,” (‘cause I deplore that sorta thing), but over the past twenty-five years I have been privileged to counsel thousands, teach hundreds (in a university setting), and mentor dozens, (through the auspices of a formal program I developed). I’ve gone on to self-publish a book relating to a couple of my favorite dearly departed canines; (if anyone wants to take one of the remaining 150 off my hands).

As much as I want to go right on impacting people and fulfilling Providence’ plans for my life, I realize we “can’t say here.” One of the most “in your face” admonitions of scripture informs us,

“It is appointed unto man once to die…” (Hebrews 9:27)

While my father’s forebears are long-lived, his GGG Grandfather, a preacher, made it to (drum roll) 107, and died… falling off a horse, daddy lived just a decade longer than the U.S. male average of 76, and mama five years longer than the female average.

I mean, I stay in good shape, but if ‘averages’ catch up with me I have all of 7 more years “to make it happen.” (Now, that will get your attention)!

To be sure, I’m not afraid of going on to my reward; since I have placed my faith in the Savior of the world. Of course, the process of “checking out,” with all its inherent sickness and/or pain, isn’t pleasant to contemplate. (I mean, nobody ever died of nothing). Our bodies are time-limited. That’s the way they’re designed.

All in all, whether the remainder of my time on earth is short or long, as Jesus once said about one of His favorite people…

“Mary has chosen the best thing and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41)

And all in all, I like to think the best choice available to me has been my choice to pray the following prayer on a daily basis.

“Lord, don’t let me miss out on whatever remains of my destiny.”

I am inclined to believe He will honor that prayer.


By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 78. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above



No comments:

Post a Comment