Friday, March 9, 2018

IF ANY WOULD BE GREAT AMONG YOU



Recently, I completed a paraphrase of the New Testament; a task which was, seemingly, interminable but at the same time fulfilling. And interestingly enough, (if that is the appropriate characterization) once the manuscript was completed, the presence of a myriad of typos required a time-consuming two additional edits.

As most any Bible scholar knows, the Old Testament is made up of 39 books, and the New Testament 27. Eight or nine men wrote the New Testament; depending on the identity of the author of the Book of Hebrews. (If someone other than Paul wrote Hebrews, as researchers are prone to believe, and if none of the other New Testament writers were responsible for it, then there was a total of nine authors).

I thought I was relatively familiar with the New Testament, but I can tell you that after having finished paraphrasing its 27 books, I found myself geometrically more familiar with it.

After having “been in the way,” (the Christian way) for half a century I thought it unlikely that I could learn anything new about the New Testament, in particular. Apparently, I was wrong.

Allow me to regress a moment.

Three men wrote the majority of the New Testament. Paul, John and Luke. Paul wrote what has been referred to as the Epistles. John wrote the Gospel of John, 1st, 2nd and 3rd John, and the Book of Revelation. Luke wrote the Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts.

The bold-faced Paul, speaking in the first person, left to us doctrine and admonition and encouragement and guidance. The lesser known, and more obscure “Dr.” Luke, (for he was a physician) only occasionally drifted into the first person, but who recounted the lives and travels, ministries and impact of people such as Jesus, and Peter, and Paul, and never called attention to himself.

Having finished my paraphrase of the New Testament, I returned to the Index, and began to “do the math.”

My style and font is Calibri 16, and I only printed on the front side of the paper. Having given 8-10 weeks, night and day, to the entire process, I reached a remarkable conclusion.

Whereas, I had always been informed that Paul wrote the majority of the New Testament, my page count indicated otherwise. For you see, at least in terms of my particular paraphrase, and its style and font, John wrote a total of 150 pages, Paul composed 176 pages, and Luke penned (drum roll) 212 pages!

Granted, while Paul wrote 13, perhaps 14 books of scripture, and Luke only two, the latter’s weighty volumes required more paper and ink, (and perhaps more time and effort) than those which the former so eloquently inscribed.

My friends. Don’t let anyone tell you that Paul wrote the preponderance of the New Testament. While I don’t think the humble Dr. Luke would debate you, it just ain’t so.



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Bible Blogs." Copyright pending
 
 If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment