Wednesday, March 21, 2018

IN THE SHADOW OF STATUES. Pts. 1-3



I was just watching a segment on, “Morning Joe” (MS-NBC) which featured Mitch Landrieu, the Mayor of New Orleans. It seems he has written a volume titled, “In the Shadow of Statues,” (available on Amazon) which details his having removed the Confederate statues from the city in which he resides and officiates.

Anyone who knows me well can imagine how kindly I take to the removal of Confederate statues; especially those which represent the common Southern enlisted men.

This being said, I admit to having a rather convoluted past and present.

You see, several of my relatives fought in the American Civil War, and some gave the last full measure of devotion. Samuel Frier, my 3x great uncle, Freeman Ring, another 3x great uncle, and Laten Eldridge, my 3x great grandfather died during the course of that infamous war. (They are not forgotten).

Strangely enough, (at least to me) Commanding Union General (and eventual President of the United States) Ulysses S. Grant was a distant relative of mine. And did I mention my Uncle Freeman Ring, (to whom I previously alluded) also fought, (and died) for the Union cause? (Well, he did).

Another personal variable of some note is my genetic heritage. As the result of a recent DNA test, I learned that my 5x great grandmother (or grandfather) was a black African by birth. (I can tell you for a good ole Southern boy this was quite a revelation)!

And finally, in terms of those conflicting inconsistencies which represent my unique whole, I am a member of The Sons of Confederate Veterans; a successor organization to our dearly departed United Confederate Veterans organization, and one hundred percent of its late members.

If, as I implied, my past and present are any indicator, I expect my future might also be rather convoluted.

Pt. 2

There has been a great deal of controversy regarding the removal of Confederate statues in the Southern states of our great nation. An informal, non-scientific survey among my countrymen would indicate that well over fifty percent of middle-aged and older Southern adults would prefer our statues remain exactly where they are.

(My readers may have noticed that I did not refer to younger Southerners since as a former teacher and university professor, my estimation is that most so-called “Generation Z” members cannot tell you when the Civil War began nor ended, nor the reasons which led to its advent).

Mitch Landrieu is by no means alone among Southern officials in his crusade to rid the South of its monuments to our beloved Confederate ancestors. Nikki Haley, former South Carolina Governor, (and current U.N. Ambassador) removed the Confederate Battle Flag from the S.C. Capitol Mall; a decision which received very mixed results among the citizens of that particular state; the very location in which the Civil War began.

It is interesting to note that the catalyst which led to the dismantlement of Confederate statues came to fruition in the past five years; whereas, this country experienced a century and a half of racial turmoil, and the Civil Rights Movement, while these granite and steel tributes to the Southern soldier remained in place; without so much as a whimper from anyone.

It is curious to understand something I only just recently understood. And that is the Civil War statues dedicated to the common soldier in the North and the South were largely manufactured… by the same company. The only difference between them is, (drum roll) the belt buckles. (U.S. vs. C.S.A.)

Pt. 3

Another interesting fact.

A large percentage of these Union and Confederate statues were erected during the late 19th and the early 20th centuries, and the funds for these memorials were largely raised by the widows and surviving children of the common fighting man. They were not only heroes. They were flesh and blood.

It is important to realize that the common Southern enlisted man never received an embossed envelope in the mail inviting him to participate in the Confederate cause. But rather, they were subject to the draft; as much so as our young American citizens were subject to the draft during the Vietnam War.

58,000 American men (and several women) died during the Vietnam War, which was, after all, a futile exploit; since the entire peninsula eventually fell to the Communists; a couple years after the Paris Peace Accord was signed.

Over 200,000 Confederate soldiers died during the American Civil War, (and somewhat more Union troops). Given the passage of time, it is more than obvious that the South was in no position to either fight or win that war. The North possessed multiplied more wherewithal to wage the battle; both in terms of manpower and industry.

Nonetheless, the common fighting man was denied any opportunity to bow out of what was thought to be his obligation and responsibility. (My 2x great grandfather, a Yankee transplant to the South, was drafted and fought for the Confederacy; whereas, his Maine brother fought for and died in the Union Army).

The vast majority of Southern soldiers never owned a slave, nor did they mentally connect that war to the right to subjugate people in slavery. From their perspective, (and this is well-documented) they fought for family, home and (what they regarded as) country.

Afterward

Given the series of convoluted personal information with which I began this thesis, it seems to me that I am as well-informed to speak to this topic as the good Mayor of New Orleans.

Whereas, it is not my intention to change Mr. Landrieu’s mind re. the removal of Confederate statues, he certainly will never change mine.

…nor will I purchase his book.


(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 79. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending.

If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above






No comments:

Post a Comment