Sunday, March 4, 2018

MEMENTOS WHERE ONCE STOOD PEOPLE



Cherished client


Counseling intern


God-daughter


The first of the three called me ‘cousin’ since we ‘wore’ the same surname. The next called me ‘friend’ and ‘teacher’ and thought those monikers ought to grace my headstone. The last promised to never take me for granted, and called me ‘PaPa.’


A wall cross


A photograph


An East Indian wrap


Mementoes where once stood people. They have vanished like fog in the morning, and left base trinkets in their place. I can so identify with our Lord when, after some of His outer circle despised him, and stepped away, He asked the twelve,


…“Will you also go away?”


So inestimably easy to withdraw into myself, and refuse any further opportunities to practice vulnerability.


Yet, such a course of action would only prove my mediocrity, and would neither benefit me, nor those whom God has yet to set in my pathway.


Therefore, I will do the hard thing. I will do the less convenient thing. I will go right on making a difference in lives whether they, ultimately, value me, my efforts, and all that I have poured into them, or whether they don’t.


Whether they remember the messenger is of little or no account. It is, rather, far more important that they remember the message, and entrust it to others; who may do the same.


The ignoble choices of those whom I have impacted in the past will neither now, nor will they ever deter me from my task.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 74. Copyright pending


If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment