Friday, March 16, 2018

GOODBYES


Five minutes ago I clicked on the web link for “Night Sounds;” my favorite daily Christian radio broadcast. And is so often the case, after I begin listening to the pre-recorded segment, (for the host of the program ‘left us’ several years ago) I type out a blog or two. This morning was much the same. And this time around, it occurred to me to recite a story from almost two and a half decades hence; one which conjures up the title of one of my favorite hymns.

“Til the Storm Passes By”


Oddly enough, as I began typing, Bill Pearce, the anchor of the previously mentioned radio program, referred to the very storm about which I had just determined to write! It is no understatement to say that a chill went up my spine!


Hurricane Andrew


Half the Florida Army National Guard was immediately dispatched to Homestead, Florida; along with an additional 25,000 active duty troops. My unit, 2nd Battalion, 116th Field Artillery, which comprised about 400 guardsmen, set up camp on the grounds of the Metro Zoo. My section, a Personnel component, ‘pulled’ guard duty at the entrance of (what had been) an exclusive subdivision. Country Walk.


In the years following the storm, and as the 50 square mile area was painstakingly rebuilt, scientists accomplished somewhat of a post-mortem. As a result, they re-classified Hurricane Andrew a Category 5, with sustained winds approaching 200 mph, and higher in gusts. Prior to Hurricane Katrina, the worst storm in American history in terms of sheer power. But thankfully, while virtually every home and industrial building in the entire area were devastated, there was comparatively little loss of life.


Perhaps ‘no thanks’ to some peoples’ lack of preparation
.


In this regard, Country Walk was no exception. But we return to this consideration shortly.


My direct supervisor, SFC Bob Hoehne, and I drove through the upscale community on a daily basis, and the sight which ‘greeted’ our eyes was nothing less than horrendous. No doubt, it would have been bad enough had the residential area been built to codes which since the storm have been upgraded to reflect its awful result.


The half million dollar homes had been broken up like match sticks. An abundance of plywood littered yards, and concrete blocks and shingle lay in non-descript heaps. We could only imagine the former beauty of the once luxurious place.


One day, as I ‘stood’ duty at the sole entrance to County Walk, a man came strolling up from what little remained of his home; a house just behind our guard post.


The story he told us was nothing short of chilling.



“My wife and I decided to ride out the storm. Can you spell ‘stupid?’ Well, it was, and we were.”


The entre to his tale was already compelling, and nothing would have deterred me from listening to his entire story. Before continuing, “Mr. Jones” made us aware that their scenario had been considered so news worthy that 20/20 immediately interviewed the couple, and had produced and ran a segment based on their experience. Given the Homestead area was still weeks away from the restoration of power, and no television sets had been packed on our ‘deuce and a half’s’ I had not seen the program. (Nor, to this day have I been afforded the opportunity to do so).


Our impromptu guest continued.


“Of course, we watched the progress of the hurricane on TV, and with each passing hour I second-guessed my decision to remain in our home. Ultimately, the power went out, and the roar of the wind increased. As we sat in our living room, with only a candle to light up the dark around us, several ceiling tiles gave way and fell on the floor around our feet. It was about that time that I heard the back door pop, and come off its hinges. Nobody had to beg me to get my wife to the only interior room in the house; our hall bathroom.”


Needless to say, I was ‘all ears.’


“Well, we quickly made our way to the bathroom, closed the door, and stepped into the tub; where we sat down facing one another. As we sat there, June and I heard the most amazing sounds, and experienced emotions I never knew existed.”


(I think no one ever accused my newfound friend of a lack of eloquence).


“Staff Sergeant McDonald, it was nothing less than awful. As we waited for the end to come, we heard our living room walls give way, and that portion of the roof collapsed. It was then that we embraced, and


…told each other ‘goodbye.’”


I have previously written about another encounter during that memorable tour of duty.


Several of us soldiers were walking out of a McDonald's Restaurant; with M-16's slung over our shoulders.


In a poignant ad-lib moment, suddenly a woman walked up, virtually ‘out of nowhere’ threw her arms around me, and exclaimed,


"You guys just don't know how much we appreciate your coming to help us." 



I was privileged and I am thankful to have experienced the second kind of embrace; than the one which my erstwhile friend described for me that day.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 40. Copyright pending


If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment