Tuesday, November 8, 2016

I GOT MY VOTE. Pt. 2


 Pt. 2

It occurs to me that the American electorate have selected two of the least popular candidates of all time; (though, ironically, it was the electorate who selected them from the larger group from whence they sprang). Strangely enough, though this duo represents ‘the last two standing’ everyone seems to complain that this election is about choosing the lesser of the two evils. Go figure.

As you might imagine, given the present state of political affairs I debated how best to cast my vote.
Well, readers, it occurred to me that I couldn’t do a lot better than to carefully print a name on the write in line below that of the well-known pre-printed candidates’ names.
And indeed, before I sealed my ballot envelope, and affixed my signature to the outside, in a slightly reworded version of my wife’s pledge to Governor Graham, I was able to congratulate yours truly, and exclaim,
I got my vote!”
And thus, on the same day I will have completed two rather prestigious accomplishments.
I will have finished a personal best cycling record
(and)
I will have ‘thrown my name in the hat’ for the office of President of the United States
And while I think I might receive almost unanimous congratulations for the first undertaking, I’m doubtful I would receive overwhelming support for the second of the two items on this short list.
Call it a protest vote. Call it what you wish. I simply could not pledge allegiance to either of the two candidates who had any chance, whatsoever, of taking his or her seat in the Oval Office on January 20, 2017.
And so much like the Civil War movie, “Glory” in a scene in which Denzel Washington portrays the part of an ex-slave/union soldier, and in which he jests with a fellow black troop about having run for the presidency, he concludes with,
“I didn’t win though.”
While I have no illusions about being declared the winner of the most prestigious and powerful office on earth, nor being picked up by the Secret Service on Thursday, January 19th, and limosined to Tampa International Airport for a ride to the nation’s Capitol on Air Force One, I have no regrets about having cast my vote for this particular 3rd party candidate.
At least, I have voted my conscience and principles, and I think my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will be proud of me; (as well as those among my descendants who are yet unborn).

And whatever anyone else may think or say, 

…that’s more than enough for me.

**Post-Script -  11-9-16 - I guess the prophets were right, after all.


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment