Saturday, November 5, 2016

GOD'S FAVORITE TEAM

I care little or nothing about baseball. 

…However,

as with all things in my life I am prone to make exceptions; when it is particularly convenient to do so.

Over the past few years I have tolerated my wife’s propensity to watch the Tampa Bay Rays on television, and actually enjoyed watching one pitcher, Jeremy Hellickson, when he ‘took the mound.’ Subsequently, Hellickson went on to play for other teams, and the Rays manager, Joe Maddon, made a lateral move to become manager of the Chicago Cubs.

Speaking of Joe Maddon and the Chicago Cubs, you would have to be from the planet Mars or in a coma not to be aware that this illustrious and oft berated team won the World Series this week. 

Did I infer I sometimes make exceptions? (Well, I do).

I admit it. The past couple of weeks I watched the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians battle it out for the ultimate prize of all prizes in Major League Baseball; if only on account of their manager Joe Maddon. Need I say I was rooting for ‘the Cubbies?’ 

(Well, I was).

During the 2016 World Series ‘much was made’ of the Cubs strange fascination and affiliation with the number 108. 

You see, ‘til this week it had been 108 years since the Chicago Cubs won a World Series. The Cubs’ headquarters is located at 108 ‘something something’ street. A Major League Baseball has 108 stiches. And lo and behold, the final game of the series was won by the Cubs, the team with the longest dry spell in baseball, in the 10th inning with a total of 8 runs. (108)

I suppose you might say the Chicago Cubs have a new ‘lucky number.’

I mean, what is the likelihood of so many almost providential occurrences revolving around the number 108? One would almost think that the Chicago Cubs was God’s favorite team, (and that He’d decided the Cleveland Indians 70 year failure to win a World Series paled in comparison to their opponent).

In months and years gone by I have sometimes written about prayer, and what I believe is God’s total disinterest in whether I fuel my automobile with 87 or 93 octane gasoline, or whether we wear a shirt with four buttons or five. I mean, these are the things we just don’t need to pray about. Such choices as these are so mundane, and hardly merit wasting the Almighty’s time with trivial pursuits. 

No doubt, there were a myriad of players and spectators who prayed for the Cubs and, respectively, the Indians to win. And speaking of players it is not uncommon to see someone like Ben Zobrist hit a homer and raise his arms in praise to the One who made him; (an admirable gesture, indeed).

While both teams cannot win, we are liable to pray for our personal favorite, and in the end expect God’s good graces to grant us a boon; (and in so doing, to ignore the pleas of the opposing fans).
Admittedly, there is something almost beyond providential about that recurring number 108, and even the most casual observer or ardent skeptic might be swayed to believe that the Creator of the universe had chosen a favorite team.

Well, my friends, I simply don’t believe that to be the case. Admittedly, (there’s that word again) given its notoriety it would appear God must assuredly place more importance on the winning team in a World Series, than on the kind of gasoline one buys or how many buttons look good on a shirt.

But in spite of the prayer beads I noticed in the hands of one Chicago Cubs fan, and the crazy recurrence of that ‘century plus 8’ number, I would personally consign the final 4 and 3 game results to the raw athletic talent of the winning team members.

What then should we believe about the earnest prayers of a believer, and God’s willingness to deliver the desired response?
Following is a well-known passage from the same chapter in which our Savior taught His disciples THE Prayer of all prayers.

“So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.” (Matthew 6:31-34)

“What shall we eat? What shall we drink? What shall we put on?”

(and) 

“Your heavenly Father knows that you need these things.”

No, my friends. As much as a numerological coincidence, (i.e. the Chicago Cub’s recurring 108) might imply otherwise, God neither has a favorite team, nor is He bound to answer any prayer involving a ‘want’ in the affirmative; (though perhaps He may, like me, 

…make a few exceptions).

  By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment