Sunday, November 27, 2016

FILLING UP IN MY OWN BODY HIS UNFINISHED SUFFERINGS



One of the most poignant and ironic scriptures in the New Testament reads as follows:


“Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Christ.” (Col. 1:24)


While we cannot add a thimble full to our Lord’s finished work on the cross, the implication of this scripture is that the servant is not greater than his Master, and if the God-man suffered, we ought count it a privilege to follow His lead.


Of course, throughout the two thousand years which separates us from His having walked on this earth countless martyrs have stepped forward, and followed Christ in His suffering.


My pastor included the following stories in today’s church bulletin:

Matthew Henry wrote his Bible commentary some 250 years ago. In it he records being robbed on his way to a preaching engagement. His prayer of tranksgiving is noteworthy. 


First,I want to thank Thee because I was never robbed before. Second, I thank Thee that though they took my wallet, they did not take my life. Third, I thank Thee that though they took all I had, it wasn’t much. Fourth, I thank Thee that it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed. (And I expect if he’d thought about it, Rev. Henry would have included, ‘Fifth, I thank Thee that it was I who was robbed, and not someone else who was robbed.’)



The Reverend Lindsay and Lucille Croft were prominent Church of God pastors and church leaders in Florida. He served as Florida Evangelism Director. The Croft’s retired near Bushnell. Some ten years ago they were robbed and savagely murdered; so brutalized that it was a closed casket affair. 


I attended their funeral service. The crowds were so large it was held in the gymnasium of the Bushnell High School. It was just before Thanksgiving. 


Their son, Dale Croft said, 


“I am thankful for three things. First, that they did not suffer long, second, that they went together, and third, I know where they are.” (Rev. Elwood Kern)












No comments:

Post a Comment