Sunday, November 13, 2016

AN APOCRYPHAL PRAYER OF THE 12 YEAR OLD JESUS



*I once completed my own paraphrase of the New Testament Book of Philippians. That undertaking was a life changing event. It gave me an entre into the Apostle Paul which I'd never experienced. Almost as if I were given the privilege of walking into that Roman cell, sitting down beside the writer of the majority of the New Testament, and getting to know him as a brother and friend. This prayer provided me very much the same effect.

Father in heaven

As I have gotten older I have realized who I am and the purpose You have for me. And in spite of my age, as much as lies in me I am determined to follow through with the plan we created together…before we made the worlds.

Holy Father, I admit it. I love my life, and I am not eager to lay it down. And yet, I am looking forward to the years which lie ahead, and the short season in which You have assured me I will do the most magnificent things, miraculous things to bring glory to Your name. 

And yet…

I enjoy the young life you have afforded me.

Why, only yesterday, my cousin John and I borrowed my step-father Joseph’s rowboat and spent some time casting my new net. We caught a few small ones which we cooked on the beach. They were absolutely delicious. We did well when we made fish, didn’t we? (I guess that’s a rhetorical question).

And yet, I have read the prophecies of the Old Testament. I know the plans You have for me. I am all too familiar with my young end. The end of life as I know it here. The path which ultimately leads to the cross; the pathway that I must take to join You once again in heaven.

Strange. This thing called ‘flesh,’ since ‘til now I knew no time, nor limitation. To be anywhere, to do anything, to fill up the expanses of the universe; which you and I spoke into existence.

And now to fill up this small frame, a body in which I have agreed to confine myself throughout the countless ages to come. An altogether new experience for me. Separated from You for a season; in order to identify more closely with our noblest creation. 

Mankind.

Father, give me the wherewithal to live above temptation. Make provision for the years which stretch out before me. Strengthen me to fulfill the primary task for which I put on this flesh.

I lift my hands to heaven, and give You the praise due Your holy, most worthy name.

Selah


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin





No comments:

Post a Comment