Saturday, November 12, 2016

THREE JIMMY'S



During the 20th century decades of the 80’s and 90’s the two most ‘famous’ (or ‘infamous’) ordained ministers of the largest Pentecostal denomination in the world


…failed morally, (and failed miserably).


It is not the purpose of this particular story to spend much time with the moral indiscretion of the one, Jim B. (as I been given a more personal entre into the life and failings of the second, Jimmy S).

Suffice it to say that the former of the two was sexually involved with a church secretary, Jessica H., and provided her a payoff from his television ministry funds; in order to maintain her silence. ‘Jimmy’ was also charged with fraud for having over-sold partnerships in his Heritage USA theme park vacation package, and pocketing millions of dollars of the proceeds for himself. Ultimately, Rev. B. was sentenced to 45 years in prison, but served only 5 of the total. Interestingly enough, the much older and the much humbled now non-denominational minister has returned to television, and authored a book entitled, “I Was Wrong.”

As I previously inferred, the primary focus of my story today involves the ‘second Jimmy’ (re. Jimmy S).

But to digress a wee bit.

The former events had come and gone, and the world entered not only a new century, but a new Millennium. It may have been 2001 or 2002, (the exact year escapes me now) but as the staff counselor at a local church, I was involved in a second weekend outreach at another location about 20 miles from the first.

I was waiting on a counseling client one Saturday, (who apparently was a ‘no show’) and suddenly there was a knock on the door of the pastor’s office; which I used in his absence. I stood up from pastor’s desk, looked through the peep hole, and swung the door open.

Standing before me was a man of 55 or 60 wearing, as I recall, a conservative business suit.

He spoke.

“Hello, I’m Rev. Jim R. Is ‘Pastor Bulloch’ here?”

To which I responded,

“Well, no sir. He’s not generally here on Saturdays, …unless perhaps you and he were scheduled to meet.”

I suppose the second of my sentences came across more as a question, (than a sentence).

I have long since forgotten whether he had scheduled with Pastor B., but upon reflection it is apparent that his quest was not satisfied, as the good man of God and I proceeded to while away the next hour together.

I hadn’t heard this preacher’s name before, or at least I ‘hadn’t put two and two together.’ It was not long, however, before I realized to whom I was speaking. Not only was this minister the former pastor of the Best Man at my wedding, and had performed his nuptial ceremony, but he had later served as the chief associate of ‘the Jimmy’ of whom the majority of this story is devoted.

Readers, unless you have been on an extended trip to a distant galaxy, or in a coma the past thirty years, (or are not yet of legal age) no doubt you are all too familiar with the misbehavior of the man I have chosen to call here, ‘the second Jimmy.’

But to summarize…

It seems Jimmy S. was a ‘loving kind of man,’ (as Forrest Gump might have put it) and that in the Year of our Lord 1988, (for lack of a better phrase) he ‘got caught with his pants down.’ (Almost literally). No doubt, the (less than) devout minister had been engaged in previous trysts, but it was at this point in time he was discovered in the arms of a prostitute. (Strangely enough, the second Jimmy had previously condemned the first Jimmy on national television for the allegations against him. Talk about ‘The Pot calling the Kettle black’)!

As a young man in the early 70’s, I recall having seen a few of the religious notables of my day. The flamboyant Kathryn Kuhlman held a one night crusade in Tampa which I attended. And the second Jimmy did likewise. (As I recall he added a couple of musical selections to his repertoire that evening; as he was an accomplished speaker, pianist and soloist).

But to return to our guest…

My new-found acquaintance reminded me of the events which naturally fell together after the second Jimmy was ‘discovered’ and how that he almost begged his supervising pastor to seek counsel after his shenanigans became known.

After having been ‘turned in’ by another less than faithful pastor, ‘our friend,’ Jimmy rendered a contrite public apology to his congregation; one which was ‘chuck full’ of ‘weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ The video can still be viewed on the internet today. (I admit. It is difficult to watch).

In spite of Rev. S.’ heartfelt display, the (not so) good minister nay-sayed any effort to ‘tell him what to do’ and refused to comply with his denominational board’s insistence that he step down from the pulpit for an extended period of time. While Jim R. (a third Jimmy, but of an entirely different caliber) assumed the senior pastorate for a short time, it wasn’t long before our second Jimmy reassumed his role in that Louisiana church and television ministry. Ultimately, the Assemblies of God defrocked ‘Rev.’ Jimmy II, and he continued his ministry in a non-denominational status.

And then, hardly half a decade transpired before

…he got caught with his, (well, you know) again.

The cameras no longer pan the audience in the second Jimmy’s church. Almost thirty years after this Jimmy’s first moral indiscretion it is apparent that hundreds have drifted away from his congregation, (and no doubt thousands have left his television, and subsequently his long distance tithing fold). But like the first Jimmy, he continues to ‘reach, teach and keep’ a selected genre of believers. To be fair to my perspectives, I can only wonder why anyone would invest their trust in and continue to contribute to a ministry in which the central figure has not only yielded twice to a compromising situation, but who has refused to comply with the demands of the denomination with which he had associated himself.

Three Jimmys. Two who made choices which have followed them throughout the remainder of their lives. One who followed his moral compass and refused to be deterred from the path which God had set out before him.

As a counselor I share a concept I refer to as “Short Term Satisfaction vs. Long Term Results,” or what might just as well be referred to as “The Scarlett O’hara Syndrome.” You may recall the movie, “Gone With The Wind,” and as the film concludes Scarlett is heard to say, “I’ll just have to think about that tomorrow.”

Too many Christians and non-believers, alike are prone to make choices based on what ‘feels good’ at the time; while all the while ignoring the potential long term results; not so very different from Scarlett O’hara.

Two Jimmys who seemed too well acquainted with Scarlett’s manner of thinking and course of action, and who as a result reaped shame and sorrow when ‘tomorrow’ finally arrived. 


Two Jimmys on a date with the proverbial Scarlett O’hara.


 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin








No comments:

Post a Comment