Saturday, November 5, 2016

GOD WILL MAKE A WAY

(but not necessarily the way you want)

As a member and advocate of social media I have often come across a post and accompanying adage which assures readers that,

“God Will Make a Way."

“Well, maybe He will and then again, maybe He won’t."

We live in the age of the so-called ‘Prosperity Gospel’ when too many Christians regard God as our servant or errand boy in the sky. 

And I think we become far too glib, and perhaps take our Creator for granted when great pearls of spiritual wisdom drop like raindrops from our lips; while allowing scriptural balance and experience to ‘play second fiddle.’

I was just listening to a nightly radio program called, “Night Sounds” and the host of the program, the late Bill Pearce, introduced a solo composition. 

He prefaced the song with the following introduction.

“On a recent trip out west I attended an event in which a young man sang a piece entitled, ‘I Will Be There.’ Before getting up to sing, ‘Martin’ told me that as he entered the arena tonight he received a phone call from his wife. It seems she had made the decision to leave him, and to take their two children with her. I don’t know how he summoned up the wherewithal to sing, nor how he found a way to sing about God’s love and abiding presence in a circumstance such as his own.”

God Will Make a Way

Well, be so bold as to utter that phrase to the young man of whom I have just alluded, and all the other young (and not so young) men and women who have experienced similar things during the course of their lives.

God will, indeed, make a way, 

…but it may not be the way we may have expected or which we might have preferred.

Our Lord is neither our servant, nor our errand boy. And He will do as He has providentially foreordained and determined that He would do

…before He made the worlds

I think of the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11.

“Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yes, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

(Of whom the world was not worthy). 


They wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

(And yet), these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise.”

(Hebrews 11:35-29)

He made a way for those among His saints whom He allowed to suffer. Yet, it was NOT the way they might have expected or which they might have preferred.

Yes. God will make a way! However, I, for one, must remind myself that my thoughts are not always His thoughts, and my ways are not always His ways. 

God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me


He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength
For each new day
He will make a way
Yes, He will make a way



By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment