Wednesday, November 2, 2016

CELEBRATING YOU. Pt. 1



I was listening to The Elvis Radio Channel this morning and George Klein, one of Elvis’ close friends, and the aging chief DJ for the Elvis Channel told a poignant story involving “The King.”

Not long after Elvis began his fledging singing career in the early 50’s, he was invited to perform on “The Grand Old Opry.” Well, having performed on that world famous stage, and having returned to his dressing room at the end of the show, a notable backup singer knocked on the door. And without so much as a ‘how-de-do’ he admonished him,


“Son, you just ain’t got want it takes. You ought to go back to drivin’ that truck.”


Fast forward ten or twelve years, and Elvis had just finished a performance in Las Vegas and there was a knock on his dressing room door. It may be helpful here to mention that Elvis wasn’t the type to forget anyone or anything, and he immediately realized this fella was the same guy who told him he didn’t have what it took to succeed as a singer. 


The familiar man with a familiar voice spoke,


Hi Elvis. You remember me? I wonder if maybe you have a spot for me on your upcoming tour.”


To which Elvis responded,


“I’ll see what I can do, man. I’ll get back with you on that.”


After the obviously humbled man stepped away, and the door closed, George Klein said Elvis glared at him, and began to curse ‘a blue streak’ slinging words he’d never heard him use before. And after the verbal tirade subsided Elvis exclaimed, (paraphrased)


Do you know who that man was? There are people out there who tell you ‘you can’t.’ There are folks who put you down, and who wouldn’t think of lifting you up. There are people out there who are in it for themselves, and who wouldn’t lift their little finger to give a new guy a good lead or a red cent. That fella was one of them. He ain’t gettin a d_ _ _ thing from me!”


I’ve met people like that, those who tell you that ‘You can’t’ or ‘You won’t’ or ‘You shouldn’t.’ And I’ve had a few in my own life with whom I have developed a close and seemingly abiding relationship; only to have them turn on me. And without pursuing this thought any further here, suffice it to say I think we all can relate. Dear readers, it ain’t fun. It can be excruciating and it can be demoralizing.

 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 45. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment