Tuesday, November 22, 2016

THE SCARLETT O'HARA SYNDROME. Pt. II

Among the thousands of clients who have ‘darkened the door’ of my office, there have been a significant number of folks who, I am convinced, would not have walked from one wall to the other to discover an answer to the dilemma which brought them to me in the first place.

And as scripture admonishes us,


“These things ought not to be.”


Of course, there are plenty enough excuses for why people behave the way they do, and plenty of justification for their lack of momentum.


Childhood trauma. Poor role modeling. The lack of a personal mentor. A dearth of ambition. A series of 'unlucky breaks.’ Etc.
And while I never discount such variables in an individual’s life, excuses cannot become reasons, and excuses have the potential to keep us stuck throughout the course of an entire lifetime.


Following is a portion of an interview by Laura Hillenbrand; the author of the best-selling novel, “Seabiscuit.”


(As a bit of a preface, it might help you to know that Ms. Hillenbrand experienced food poisoning in 1987 and, as a result, developed a rare and life-long reaction to this illness; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with additional symptoms of Vertigo).

She says,

“Writing this book was immensely important to me, but my illness made it very hard. I had to accept that there would be a large physical price to pay for undertaking this project, and that I would have to pare away the rest of my life to save my strength for what I wanted to do.

There were days when it was almost impossible to move, but I usually found something I still had strength to do. If I was too dizzy to write, I did interviews. If I was too weak to sift through books, I sat still and wrote. Sometimes I worked while in bed, lying on my back and scribbling on a pad with my eyes closed. 

Though it was hard to do this, there was never a point at which I became discouraged. These subjects were just too captivating for me to ever consider abandoning the project. The price I paid was steep. Within hours of presenting the manuscript to the publishers, my health collapsed completely.”

She concludes,

“As difficult as the illness made the writing and research process, I think I also have it to thank for spurring me into the project. Being sick has truncated my life dramatically, drastically narrowing the possibilities for me. For fifteen years, I have had very little contact with the world. The illness left me very few avenues for achievement, or for connecting with people. Writing is my ‘salvation’; the one little area of my life where I can still reach out into the world and create something that will remain after I am gone. It enables me to define myself as a writer instead of a sick person.”

I think Laura Hillenbrand almost literally “wrestled with demons” …and won. I think she has a great deal to teach us about the tenacity that we must possess to overcome the tenaciousness of life itself.

I see people like this brave lady, and I can only question how dare we make any excuses for our willingness to live out mediocre, stagnant, unfulfilled lives on the earth.

(to be continued)

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 25. Copyright pending
 
 If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment