Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Prosperity Gospel



I was just scrolling down the home page of my social media site, and came across a statement someone has posted re. Rev. T.D. Jakes. The quotation read something like,

“If you need a house, a healing, or a hot dog, (well, I added the third option) type ‘Amen’ and add this post to your personal page.”

To each his own, but I have never been able to “get off on” prosperity preachers or prosperity preaching. Another preacher/pastor with the initials J.O. is, perhaps, the best known of them all when it comes to the prosperity gospel; (with a small “g”).

Now, to be sure I realize that many folks who post quotations by famous preachers, teachers, authors, garbage men, etc. on social media and/or click the “like” or “amen” icons are just “rolling the (proverbial) dice.” And, ultimately, there’s no harm in that. I suppose it’s as good for passing one’s time as playing those Cotton Candy, Candy Apples, Candy Kisses or Candy Whatever games people play on social media.

However…

Scripture reminds us we “never know what a day shall bring.”

(Ain’t that the truth)?

Our sweet Lord Jesus knows, my wife and I have experienced both “bitter and better” circumstances along this Gospel Road.

While it is the Lord’s good pleasure to extend a loving, beneficent hand towards them who call upon His name, and by whose strong name they have been redeemed, it ain’t all roses, my friend. When you pick the roses, the thorns are thrown in for free.

We have only to consider the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11

They wandered to and fro. They found refuge in caves. They were destitute. They were hungry. They were stoned to death. They were sawn asunder. They were eaten by lions.

… “Of whom the world was not worthy.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for Prosperity; with a capital “P”

But we have to take the bad with the good.

I think we need to balance Prosperity Preaching with Hebrews 11 Teaching.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 34. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index


No comments:

Post a Comment