Friday, April 1, 2016

2nd Hand Smoke



When I was a teenager my dad smoked incessantly. A couple of packs a day. They say “what goes around comes around,” and a sage intellectual once theorized, “For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.” 

Well, it was true with my father. Every morning we could hear him in the bathroom “puking his guts out” over the toilet. But in spite of having smoked for decades and having worked with toxic insect chemicals for years, he lived to be 85. One can only wonder how long he might have been with us, if he’d never come into contact with those two elements.

Sadly, cigarette smoke isn’t confined to the 12 inches which surrounds the body of the person who chooses to smoke. I got so much 2nd hand smoke as a child that one doctor claimed that on an x-ray he could see a buildup of fluid in my lungs. No doubt, the result of that unwelcome, hazy gift my father bequeathed to me as a child.

They say cigarette smoke can kill you.

I believe it.

Thousands of Americans die on a yearly basis as the result of 1st and 2nd hand smoke. My own nephew, who smoked from an early age, developed lung cancer, and recently passed away. 

A dear Tampa mother and her two young children were plowed under by an automobile yesterday. It seems the driver of the offending vehicle was smoking at the time, and happened to drop her cigarette on the seat. Distracted, she didn’t see the family crossing the road

… until it was too late.

Apparently, cigarettes have come up with a new way to kill.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 33. Copyright pending
 
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

*****************


If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  


Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index


No comments:

Post a Comment