Saturday, April 2, 2016

And I, I Took the Path Less Traveled...



Back in the mid-60’s when I was in the throes of adolescence, I would grab my trusty skateboard and transistor radio and manpower my way to a local bowling alley about a mile distance from my house; the strains of the Beach Boys accompanying my solitary journey.

I always bowled alone. Not because I was antisocial, but only because there were few, if any other guys my age along the rural route upon which I lived.

Joe Friday used to say, “Just the facts ma’am.” And the fact was, I was just plain good.

My average score approached 200, and I occasionally managed a 220 or 230. Then there was the day when I came within a cat’s whisker of a perfect game. When it was “all said and done” my score card registered an impressive

… 280 !!!

To say I was proud of myself would be an understatement. The bowling alley manager, Ron, was so impressed he offered to buy me a lemonade. (And no doubt I took him up on the offer).

I have often mused where I might be today had I fostered my youthful athletic talent. Of course, good money can be had on the pro bowling circuit. But for whatever reason, as I neared adulthood, I drifted away from the avocation in which I had previously exceled. And after the passage of decades, and without any practice, the few times I bowled thereafter my score dipped to the low 100’s!

In the meantime I have been privileged to counsel thousands, teach hundreds and mentor dozens.

I can only imagine how it might have been had my life taken a different turn. The pro bowling circuit would have been both lucrative and exciting, but nothing comes up to fulfilling God’s will for one’s life.

Give me the latter of the two pathways any day.



No comments:

Post a Comment