Saturday, April 9, 2016

TEXTS FROM A CANCER PATIENT

I first met “Paulette” almost 10 years ago when she was an undergrad student at my former alma mater; Southeastern University.

And though I have not served on the faculty at that school for several years, I have managed to “keep up with” a few of my former students, including Paulette, and have felt privileged to do so.
It seems she lives all of five minutes from my residence, but after we went our separate ways, I think we have made an opportunity to sit down together only once or twice. And yet, over the past decade, we’ve managed to remain in touch by email and text.
Paulette and her husband, Jim have known their share of trouble. Jim was first when he sustained disfiguring injuries to his face in a car crash. Subsequently, Paulette stumbled at the state fair, and badly injured her leg.
And as if this couple needed to “add insult to injury,” Paulette discovered a lump in her right breast. Sadly enough, the couple had no medical insurance, and in a relatively short period of time, the lump increased to the size of a small orange.
My wife once knew a young lady on her job who contracted breast cancer, and who, like Paulette, had no medical coverage.
I can only imagine the sort of responsibility, and resulting emotion social workers at such agencies must exercise when they arrive at a decision to deny pro bono treatment. And I think they must take a variety of variables into consideration, not the least of which must be the social, academic and/or vocational potential of the applicant.
While “Gloria,” my wife’s co-worker, met with representatives of several cancer centers, her pleas “fell on deaf ears,” and, sadly,
… she went on to her reward.
As I recall, I suggested Paulette contact a couple of central Florida cancer centers, though admittedly I maintained the slightest hesitation that any medical facility would “entertain her cause,” (and might treat her exactly as they had treated Gloria).
And humanly speaking, (though, no doubt, there was a divine element at work) I believe one thing stood out. At the time, Paulette was one semester from finishing a graduate degree in counseling. As a pastoral counselor I have met with literally thousands of clients, and I was all too aware how potentially impressive Paulette’s application might be regarded. But as I have previously inferred, one simply never knows.
Thankfully, her request was approved, and she was granted a full medical scholarship. Everything short of gasoline and car upkeep would be provided without cost.
And thus my friend began an extensive regimen of chemotherapy, followed by a unilateral mastectomy, followed by dozens of radiation treatments. All the while she and I interacted by text, with the exception, as I recall, of perhaps two phone calls.
I am “pushing” 70, and became a great grandfather a couple years ago. In spite of my age, or perhaps because of it, I peddle 10 miles a day. 4am finds me peddling my “slow, but steady” bike down the highways and byways of my community. And during my early morning trek, I never fail to ride past Paulette’s house.
Readers, I readily admit it, I’m a praying man, and since both my friend and I believe in the power of prayer, without fail I call her name out to the Creator; as I “360” my way past her domicile. Sometimes I have even extended a hand towards the place where she slumbered, and have spoken aloud.
Funny, the texts my friend and I have exchanged have filled up literally scores of e-pages, and with the last radiation treatment, I concluded the last entry in what amounts to a volume, and messaged Paulette a copy of our lengthy interaction.
Nothing escapes our Lord’s notice, and nothing catches Him unawares. I believe that our Creator not only foreknew this young lady’s eventual medical issue before He made the worlds, but that He also made an unalterable decision to place my wife and I in her pathway. For you see, both Jean and I have also experienced the scourge of cancer, and we were both left with scars which challenged the way we formerly thought of ourselves.
To be fair, my former student manifested an amazing wherewithal to minimize what most might perceive an assault on their very femininity. And it occurs to me that we might refer to this mentality as a “Hebrews 11 mindset.” Understanding that this life is momentary, and that which we suffer here “is not worthy to be compared to the glory which will be revealed in us.”
God gives grace. My friend simply exudes grace.
A few years ago, I was watching an interview between an anchorman and a priest on a national television news program, and the topic happened to be the late Pope, John Paul II; who had only just passed away.
The priest began to speak about the sufferings of the pope, how that after the assassination attempt he suffered pain the remainder of his life, and as John Paul aged he developed Parkinson's Disease which proved to be extremely debilitating, as well. And yet for all his suffering, he continued to travel, and minister to his people.
Near the end of the interview the Catholic cleric quoted Colossians 1:24.
"Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Christ."
And the newsman responded,
"I don't understand. What is unfinished about Christ' sufferings?"
To which the kindly priest, with a sad twinkle in his eye, responded...
"…Our Participation.”
It seems some are called to participate in the Savior’s sufferings more so than others. I think Paulette has been a worthy participant. And given her calling, I have little doubt that, in return, our Lord will set a myriad of suffering souls in her pathway.
It has been said that we are “the only Jesus” that some people may ever know. And just as Christ has the capacity to be touched by the feelings of our infirmities, as the result of the things he suffered, we have been afforded the privilege of doing much the same thing.
One would be hard-pressed to guess what sort of money has been expended on Paulette’s treatment plan. Half a million dollars? A million?

Whatever the case, this dear lady is worth it, and I believe as the result of her response to God’s calling, and her participation in Christ’ sufferings, she can’t help but pay it forward.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 34. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment