Monday, December 25, 2017

SURRENDERING YOUR GIFTS. Pts. 1-4


Pt. 1

If my computations are correct, today is the 69th Christmas of my life, and one of the first things I thought of, after waking up this morning, was gifts in general, and specifically the gifts which the three wise men brought to the baby Jesus. Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.

My wife and I decided not to buy for one another this Christmas. You see, our upcoming once in a lifetime vacation to Scotland and Ireland is our gift to each other. My father’s paternal and maternal ancestors originated in the former of the two countries. What a gift it will be to visit these islands in which, according to a recent DNA test, I inherited 70 percent of my chromosomal heritage.

I surmise the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas was passed down to us by “the three wise guys.” Of course, their gifts to the young Savior were a pale, prophetic shadow of the ultimate gift which Jesus would bequeath to us; the gift of His very life on the cross, so that He might satisfy His Father’s requirement for reconciliation with fallen man.

As I write these words, it occurs to me that, as a man, Jesus voluntarily surrendered the greatest gift which He would ever be given. Length of days. And it occurs to me that as deity, and a member of the Trinity, He voluntarily surrendered the most impressive talent which He’d possessed from the eons. Omnipresence.

For you see, when Christ took on flesh and dwelt among us, walked and talked among us, was hung on a rough-hewn cross, died, and rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven, He would never again reassume the wherewithal to occupy more than one finite space at any given time. Didn’t the angels remind the men and women who were present at the ascension of Jesus into heaven?

“Men of Galilee, why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven; in the same way in which you saw him go.” (Acts 1:11)

Pt. 2

And while in my almost seven decades on this planet, I have never heard it spoken, nor alluded to by priest, nor preacher, nor lay person, I will share the following thesis with you here.

And that is, in much the same way the God-man surrendered at least two gifts or talents, when He assumed flesh, and dwelled among us, I think sometimes our Lord withdraws a gift or talent with which He has gifted us.

For just as Christ experienced seasons during the course of His immortal, (and mortal) life, as well, we also will experience seasons, and a resulting change in priorities; during the course of the only life, (thus far) with which we are familiar.

I can provide you several personal examples; (if you’re inclined to stay with me).

Among all the gifts I have ever been afforded this side of heaven, the loss of my parents. My father went on to his reward in 2012, and my mother joined him last year.

The loss of a prized position as an adjunct professor at my alma mater, having served for seven semesters; as the result of the university’s decision to dispense with most of the part-time faculty in order to enhance their certification.

The loss of my pastoral counseling ministry. Til a decade ago, I regularly sat with 20-25 cases a week. After I felt compelled to step away from my former church, in favor of another, my caseload diminished to almost zero. And while my tenure of almost twenty-five years has, in recent years, ebbed more than it has flowed, from time to time some random soul still knocks on my office door, and stretches me to offer them wise counsel.

Pt. 3

My father was a wonderful landscape artist. He was largely self-taught, and during the course of perhaps twenty years, he produced and often sold some pretty impressive canvasses. I am privileged to have four or five of them hanging on the walls of my home, and have given another two or three to family members and friends.

As my father aged, his ability to discern color waned, and he was forced to surrender the talent to which he so often devoted his time and energies.

The latest gift and talent God has, (apparently) called me to surrender seems to be my solo ministry. For when I surrendered the busyness of my former profession, (to which I have alluded) I began to exercise an altogether unused talent, that of a vocal ministry.

At this juncture, it appears our Lord may have called me to surrender this gift to whence it first came. Lately, I have experienced a sore throat “which will not let me go;” the result of a hiatal hernia. And while my physician has provided me a different medication, it has been inefficient in remedying the issue with which I currently contend. Whether, or not I reassume the vocal ministry which others seem to enjoy more, (and I, less) is a tale which is yet to be written.

All the foregoing to say:

I am convinced that with every gift or talent God affords us, and which He, summarily, calls us to surrender back to Himself, He replaces it with something else, and “for such a time as this.”

I mean, we have only to look to the Captain of our souls:

The Son is the very essence of the Father’s glory, and the exact representation and expression of His person, and who sustains all things by His Word. After He provided Himself to be the sacrificial offering for sin, He sat down at the right hand of the only God and Potentate in heaven. (Hebrews 1:3)

Having finished His, at the same time, both humble and hideous work, and given mankind the gift of His mortal life, and the salvation which flowed from it, Christ assumed His rightful seat at the right hand of His Father in heaven; a gift which God was overjoyed to afford Him.

Pt. 4

I am convinced that God never calls us to surrender one gift or talent that He doesn’t replace it with some other talent or gift. It has been true in my life.

When one season gave way to another, and my counseling ministry waned, not only was I afforded the wherewithal to exercise my vocal talent, but I took up the ministry of mentoring young, and not so young people preparing for life and impact.

And after all, any gift or talent with which we have been graciously endowed comes from above, as our Lord’s brother assured us so long ago.

“Every good gift, and every perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, nor even shadow of turning.” (James 1:17)

It is imperative that we embrace the notion that no talent or gift is ours of itself, and that we are no more responsible for it than we are the next sunrise.

When we are called to surrender one gift or talent, God in His mercy, and in His time, has a way of replacing it with another talent or gift; for the sole purpose of impacting our fellow human beings, and, in so doing, bringing glory to Himself.

Our Lord represents the best model of this concept.

“And being found in appearance as a man,
Christ humbled Himself
by becoming obedient to death,

even death on a cross.

Therefore, God exalted Him to the highest place
and has given Him the Name that is above every name,
that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth, and under the earth,
and every tongue will acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God, the Father.” (Phil. 2:8-11)

Afterward

There is a poignant and amazing passage in the fourth chapter of the Book of Revelation.


“Whenever the living creatures worshipped and gave glory, honor and thanks to Him who is seated on the throne, and who lives forevermore, the twenty-four elders fell down before God who is seated on the throne, and also worshipped Him; who is everlasting.

They laid their crowns before the throne, and shouted,

‘You are worthy, our Lord and God,

to receive glory and honor and power,

for you created all things.

And by your will, and for your purposes

they were created, and have their being.’”


If we are to be given rewards in heaven, and scripture promises us that we will be, we will just as assuredly lay those gifts at the feet of Jesus.

Perhaps God knew we needed a little practice.

(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 75. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 


If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above




No comments:

Post a Comment