Wednesday, December 27, 2017

OUR GREATEST FEARS. Pts. 1-2


As a counselor, I have literally “sat with” thousands of people over the past quarter of a century.

You know that old adage? “Be afraid. Be very afraid.” Well, I can tell both professionally and experientially, (though mostly the former) there’s plenty out there of which to be afraid.

Burglars. Snakes. Heights. Death. Elevators. Murderers. Airplanes. Spiders. Surgery. Night. Public Speaking. Needles. Clowns. Dreams.

Speaking of Dreams, in the last couple of hours, I came face to face with what is perhaps my greatest fear, though one of which I had given very little thought.

But to back up a bit, and provide you some useful information.

My waking-sleeping schedule is all over the chart. I often go to bed about 2am, sleep for a couple of hours, wake up and walk an hour, head back to bed about 5am, sleep another 3-4 hours, and start my mad schedule all over again.

Perhaps my crazy system of wakefulness and sleepfulness, (or the lack thereof) in my latter years is responsible for my increasing tendency to dream.

Speaking of my greatest fear, or very near it, as I was “cutting z’s” a short time ago, I found myself doing a very familiar something.

I was standing behind a pulpit, some generic pulpit, somewhere, and I was in the process of delivering a sermon. And it would be helpful for you to know that when I put together a message, I type it out word for word, but speak it in a conversational manner.

As I was delivering my sermon, I looked down at my manuscript, and suddenly realized it had changed, and I found myself looking at several very unfamiliar pages of print, as though I had ripped it from a magazine. And for the life of me, I could not locate the place I had just left off, when I had lifted my head to make eye contact with my audience.

As a result, I found myself begging my listeners’ indulgence, and I continued to ruffle through the pages; to no avail.

After I had done all I could possibly do to locate my place, (though there was no longer any place to locate) I apologized, and bid my parishioners a good evening. And very much like the allusion in one of the Gospels, we “sang a hymn, and went out.”

Part 2

A fear of failure.

A fear of not being adequately prepared. A fear of exposing my lack of preparedness, as the result of not being adequately prepared.

I mean, I am the most structured person I know.

I don’t do anything half way. Speaking of my counseling practice, I have always devoted 20-30 minutes in preparation for every one hour session. (And that’s an awful lot of preparing; given I used to counsel 20-25 cases per week). And as I have implied, this is just an example of my tendency to do what I do, as I have always believed it ought to be done. I mean, my picture is next to the word, “perfectionist” in Webster’s Dictionary.

And as you might imagine, I have sometimes counseled people who exhibited much the same issue; (though admittedly, there have been more who might be characterized as, “the lack thereof”).

I have always told these, and all my other clients,

“When you admit you have a problem, you’re halfway to the solution.”

(and)

“When you make a decision to change, you can see the finish line.”

Do I, (as we say in the counseling trade) “present with an issue?”

To be fair, I just alluded to my fear of failure.

As you might imagine, I encourage my clients to brainstorm ways and means by which they might overcome their issues.

Have I brainstormed my fear of failure, and a tendency to over-prepare for everything I do?

Well, yes. Yes, I have.

Forgive me. I have to go. I simply must re-tweak next week’s sermon.


(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 75. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 
If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment