Saturday, December 2, 2017

GOD'S SPECIAL POSSESSIONS. Pts. 1-4


As I prepared to do my daily scripture reading tonight, I brought up one of my favorite books of scripture on the internet.

I admit, I rarely open the actual volume, though I have several versions of the Bible on the first row of my bookcase. I simply prefer the easy access of the e-version. (I have even been known to put on an audio tape of a portion of God’s Word, set back in my recliner, and ‘listen away’).

In the second chapter of the Book of 1st Peter, I came across the following verses, and realized, once again, that His “words are spirit and they are life.”

For you see, these familiar verses never impacted me quite the same way as they did tonight.

As you come to Him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to Himyou also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

(and)

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.

And it occurs to me that the ‘there there’ of this passage of scripture was very much akin to the time our pastor invited the congregation to step forward at the end of the final service of a visiting evangelist, and to stretch out their hands and prayerfully send him on his way.

It was our congregation’s custom to place a hand on the shoulder of the person in front of us, and enter into joint prayer. And as I did so, I realized the person behind me had done much the same thing.

However…

when the prayer concluded,

the weight of the hand remained.

Somewhat hesitant to look around, I finally did, and by this time

…there was no one directly behind me.

And yet, the seeming weight of that hand remained on my shoulder long enough for me to return to my seat, listen to the benediction, walk out the door, get in my car, drive home and lay back in my recliner!

As I have previously inferred, reading the passages from Peter’s 1st epistle was strangely like that invisible, yet very tangible hand upon my shoulder.

Pt. 2

As a counselor, I have long since realized that human beings struggle with the issue of self-worth, (or self-esteem).

Among thousands of clients whom I have been privileged to serve over the course of two and a half decades multiplied hundreds have recounted stories from their nuclear home, and circumstances in their adult lives which have contributed to feelings of inadequacy. And, of course, there are any number of professionals and programs out there designed to enhance that which is nigh on to being lost forever.

I have always found it to be interesting that our ancient scripture passages contain such modern concepts, and might easily have been ripped from the pages of today’s newspaper.

Note the passage of scripture from which I previously alluded.

“Rejected by humans, but…”

Among all men, Jesus understood rejection. He was rejected like no man or woman who ever drew breath, and in so doing took all the sin and rejection ever visited upon mankind upon his back, and submitted Himself to the death of the cross.

“But…

The word, ‘but’ is a conjunction which connects two considerations in the body of a sentence. The word, ‘but’ tells us that there is something we don’t yet know or understand and which is about to change.

“But

chosen by God and precious to Him.”

(and)

you also like living stones.”

“Also…

Amazingly, almost in one breath the inspired words of the Apostle Peter draw a comparison, and accent what appears to be a vital connectiveness between the holy, sinless God-man and His creation.

“But…

(There’s that word again)

“But…

You are a chosen people.”

“Chosen…”

The same word which was used for God the Father’s relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ is now used for our Savior’s relationship with you and me.

Pt. 3

Speaking of the way the circumstances of our childhood shape the people we ultimately become, and the persuasion we develop about ourselves, I have been reading a book titled, “Forever Liesl” by the late Charmian Carr; the young lady who portrayed ‘Liesl’ on “The Sound of Music.” (Sadly, she left us in her early 70’s). 

In one chapter Charmian offers us a poignant look into her relationship with her mother, and relates one especially difficult memory:

“When I was cast in ‘The Sound of Music,’ my mother told me Sharon (her sister) was devastated. I felt terrible, but I didn’t talk to Sharon about it for years. My mother’s comment ate at me. Sharon had worked so hard. She deserved to play Liesl, not me.

I could have saved myself years of guilt if I had discussed it with my sister back then. I should have known that Mom fabricated that story. Our mother’s increasing bitterness-and her drinking-had given birth to many new traits, one of which was to divide and conquer her daughters. The older we became, the more we grew outside her sphere, the more she tried to push wedges between us. It was, I suppose, her way of having some control over us.”

Charmian’s mother had convinced her to believe a lie, had woven a distorted mindset within her which contradicted reality, and, no doubt, caused her to feel badly about herself. (I can only presume she offered this reminiscence after her mother’s passing).

Scripture assures us, however, that,

“Though my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will receive me.” (Psalm 27:10)

(and)


“You have been adopted into the very family of God and you can say with a full heart, ‘Abba’ (Daddy) Father.” (Romans 8:15)

Talk about affirmation! The God of the entire universe has chosen us, has adopted us, and welcomed us into His family! We are, as scripture assures us, His special possessions!

Will we continue to believe a lie that others have consciously or unconsciously instilled within us, and which we ascent to on a continual basis?

I love the quotation in the volume, “Captivating,” as it incorporates what the entire body of scripture has to say about God’s opinion of His creation, and His desire for an intimate relationship with us.

“You’re heard that in the heart of every man, woman and child is a space that only God can fill.

But did you realize that in the heart of God, Himself is a space that only (insert your own name) can fill.”
Pt. 4


My co-counselor of 10 years, Sherri Nicely, and I once had the task of turning an upstairs Sunday School classroom into a counseling office. After painting the room it occurred to Sherri to add a ceiling border. Promising she would stop by a local home improvement store on the way home, we parted ways with the expectation of meeting the next day.

I came across a few feet of the unused border recently, and smiled.

For you see, printed in color across the length of the wallpaper were  multiple representations of Da Vinci’s “Creation of Adam.” (I hasten to add, however, that one particular feature of Adam’s anatomy contrasted with the original, and had been ‘feminized’ in order to guarantee his modesty).

God and Adam almost touching fingertips. Whereas, the painter of the Sistine Chapel had labeled his masterpiece, “The Creation of Adam,” for the sake of my counseling clientele I referred to it as, “Man Cooperating With God.”

As I previously inferred, the passages I alluded to in the initial segment of this treatise were so much like that invisible, but very tangible hand on my shoulder. I can tell you, it definitely got my attention!

Not only did the ‘chosen’ and ‘special possession’ parts of the scriptural passages ring true, but equally so, the strong allusion to our joint responsibility to work with God for a common outcome.

“Offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”

(and)

“That you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”

Each and every believer has been called to service. Each and every believer has been called to holiness. Each and every believer has been called to 'sing His praises;' which is best evidenced by the life we choose to live. Each and every believer has been called to fulfill the destiny that God dreamed for him or her… before He made the worlds.

While scripture is clear that only the shed blood of Christ is sufficient to save us from the penalty of sin, we have been given the inestimable privilege of

…cooperating with Him.

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "McDonald's Daily Diary." Vol. 27. Copyright pending.

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment