Friday, December 15, 2017

CLIMBING THOSE THREE ALUMINUM STEPS ONE MORE TIME. Pts. 1-2


Only God knows the number of times I climbed up and down the three steps on the P-800 and P-1000 package cars (panel trucks) which I drove for United Parcel Service during the twenty years I served that illustrious company as a local delivery driver.

Going up it was right, left, right. Going down it was left, right, left. (I can tell you, it was preferable not to reverse ‘the order of march). Occasionally, but far too often for comfort, I managed to injure myself on those shiny, silver aluminum steps. Once, as I was about to step off the bottom landing, I dropped a roll of wall paper, and summarily managed to step on it. The result of my trouble was a twisted ankle. Another time I got in too big a hurry, and jumping up on the first step, I …missed the first step. My shin, however, managed to connect with the edge of said step, and I “put a hurtin’ on my lower tibia. I was rewarded with a nice, bloody red dent below my right knee.

As I was delivering a couple of packages to “Parker’s Canvas Awning” one day, circa 1990, and I was closing my bulkhead, and preparing to navigate the first of three steps to the ground, I accidently closed the door on my left pinky finger.

As Jackie Gleason might have said, (and I, no doubt, thought)

“What a revolting development!”

I found myself standing in the cab of old #59299 facing a steel bulkhead with the little finger of my left hand securely intact inside the framework of the over-sized metal door.

And since the lock to the door was on the left side, and my keys were in the opposite free hand which remained to me, I found myself “between a rock and a hard place.”

And as Mrs. Faixfax in the novel, “Jane Eyre” was prone to say,

“What to do? What to do?”
Pt. 2


While my memory of that event is not as clear as it once was, it seems apparent at this juncture that I must have screamed for assistance. At any rate, it was about this time that Mrs. Parker made her appearance, and I attempted to help her help me by handing her my bulkhead key, and instructing her to insert it in the wall lock with her left hand, while pulling the door strap away from her with her right hand; to no avail. For as much as she pulled, the bulkhead door refused to move. My stuck finger somehow disallowed the door from coming away from the frame.

By now, I realized there was only one thing to do. I began to pull my left pinky finger out, and towards my body. I would either leave it in the door, or it would rejoin the remainder of my anatomy.

However, I regret to report that I pulled out a skeletal shadow of what my little finger had previously looked like, and I left the majority of my flesh and blood inside the framework of the door.

(Gotcha)!

Actually, by this time my left pinky finger was 95% intact, and considering what it had endured, I think both I, and Mrs. Parker were happy enough with the results.

Which brings me to the crux of why I began to write this story in the first place.

Today I was visiting our county historical library. You see, I had placed a rocking chair there for a WWI exhibition. Not just any chair, but that of a famous general. But that’s a whole ‘nother story; of which I have previously written.

As the case may be, as I departed the building I noticed a UPS truck on the street on which I had parked my trusty late model vehicle. And I found myself taken up with a sudden desire to ‘bother’ the driver, but I hesitated. After all, several hundred thousand United Parcel drivers are extremely busy during the Christmas season, and while I’d faithfully performed the deed for twenty years, I realized he might easily could have cared less.
Afterward


My friends, I’m happy to report, I followed through with my inclination.

And while I didn’t end up ‘assuming the position’ in the seat of that particular delivery truck, I did bound up those three aluminum steps, (without permission, I might say) and greeted the brown-shirted gentleman whom I did not know, but who was sorting shelf packages inside the bulkhead.

And, as you might imagine, I bored the young man with my personal history of having worked for “the tightest ship in the shipping business” for twenty years, and how it had been two decades since I worked there. And he brought me up to date on the local drivers which were still working, and which ones had only recently retired.

Did I mention?

Only this past week I had done another “just one more time” with my other longest-lived job, the U.S. military, and posed for a photo in a temporary personnel building; just across the street from where I had performed that same role a full half century hence.

Apparently, this was “old home week.”

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 74. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line


No comments:

Post a Comment