Wednesday, December 27, 2017

SPIRITUAL DNA. Pts. 1-3



I was scrolling through my emails earlier today, and one in particular caught my eye.


Dear Erma

Would you mind taking a minute to fill out the enclosed survey for 23&Me? Your response will be helpful to us.

Sincerely


The 23&Me Team


Funny thing, when I read the email it immediately occurred to me to respond,

“Well, if you care to hold a séance, Erma might be up to answering your questions.”

My dear readers, I regret to tell you that my mother passed away within two weeks of submitting her DNA specimen, and four weeks prior to receiving the results,

…and thus became just one more ancestor of someone who will ultimately, like her, trace their genealogy, or submit a DNA specimen.

Scripture assures us that,

“It is appointed unto man once to die.” (Hebrews 9:27)

None of us are exempt. As young, or as heathy as we are at this moment, there is a time and place appointed to each of us to transcend the only time and place we have ever known.

Pt. 2

After King David’s infant son passed away, he responded to the concern of his attendants with the following words.



But now that the child is dead… can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."  2nd Samuel 12:23



We have so little understanding of heaven. But I am convinced that our singular hope is in the finished work of the Savior; Jesus Christ.



“I will go to him. He cannot return to me.”



But in spite of this scriptural admonition, it would seem that our Lord sometimes gives us a momentary glimpse into the realm which awaits all believers.



A few days after my father’s death, my mother had laid down to take a nap in the bedroom; which they had shared with one another. Suddenly, she opened her eyes, and stared towards the one corner of the room. And she could not help but gasp, for she saw my dad, (or at least a vision of my dad) seated in his favorite rocking chair. He said nothing, but sat there looking intently in her eyes, and with “a smile as big as all outdoors.”



And after a few moments elapsed, he disappeared from her sight.



We are creatures of the here and the hereafter.



Pt. 3



A century ago, when Teddy Roosevelt was President of the United States, he took time off for an African safari. After having killed several game animals, he re-boarded the ocean liner, and headed back for this country.



It so happened that a missionary couple was traveling third class on board the same ship, and as they neared New York Harbor, and looked out of the porthole, they saw an immense crowd waiting for the president, and cheering loudly.



And with this, the old minister exclaimed,



“Here we have been in Africa for 50 years, and we’re returning home penniless and with no one to greet us. The president has been hunting big game for two weeks, and he comes back, and the whole world is here to greet him.”



And the old gentleman continued to mourn what he felt was a great injustice.



“Carolyn, it just seems so unjust that we have given everything to the cause of the Gospel, and we get back home, and there’s nothing worth waiting for waiting for us.”



And with this, the old missionary’s wife attempted to encourage her despondent husband.



“Oh, but Henry. Don’t be so dejected. We’re not home yet!”



My mother never did learn the results of her DNA test. But I believe, at this point, she is much more concerned with her spiritual DNA, and that, as I write these words, my parents bask in the light of their Father in heaven.


(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 75. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 
If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment