Monday, December 11, 2017

BLOWING UP WALNUT GROVE. Pts. 1-3


“This one thing I do. Leaving the past behind, and turning to all that God has prepared for me.” (Phil. 3:13)

I was watching a short video segment on Youtube a couple hours ago which featured Melissa Gilbert, “Laura Ingalls Wilder” of “Little House on the Prairie” fame.

In this particular segment, Melissa reminisced about the last program of the series. (As I recall, it went off the air in 1982). At any rate, it so happened that the story line involved a railroad magnate who had managed to buy up the entire town of Walnut Grove, and intended to impose some statutes on the local citizens which they considered heinous, and unacceptable, and simply could not tolerate.

As a result, they ‘hatched’ a plot to do the most desperate thing they could possibly do under the circumstances. They would blow up every building in the entire town, and march off to their separate fates. And thus, on such and such a day, the men of the town set dynamite charges in the school, Nellie’s Restaurant, Hanson’s Mill, Laura’s Boarding House, the Little House, etc.

I will always remember watching that final segment, and waiting for the dynamite to do its worst. As I recall, various members of the cast, including “Charles Ingalls” (Michael Landon), and “Mr. Oleson” (Richard Bull) took their respective turn in pushing down the ignition plunger, and blowing up their respective buildings.

And speaking of marching off to their fate, after the terrific explosions which leveled every conceivable manmade thing in sight, the segment closes with the towns folk marching down the only road in town singing, “Onward Christian soldiers.”

In the short interview to which I alluded, Melissa Gilbert tells how the entire cast found themselves in a somber mood after having blown the place to ‘kingdom come.’ Of course, the memorable little redhead virtually grew up on the set of “Little House;” which was in production for 10+ years. She goes on to say that after the director yelled, “It’s a wrap” for the last time, she walked over to Michael Landon, and found him crying. Tears flooded down her cheeks, as well.

Pt. 2

I cannot begin to write about “Little House on the Prairie” without including two rather poignant considerations; (though they have little to do with my current story).

Laura Ingalls Wilder, (the ‘real McCoy,’ not the actress) was a distant cousin of mine. We are, (along with numerous other notables, and unknowns, including, Ulysses S. Grant, Franklin Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart, Ernest Hemingway and Richard Gere) descended from the same Mayflower passenger, Richard Warren.

Another interesting tidbit, (at least to me) is the revelation, (at least to you) that several years ago I enjoyed a short-term pen pal relationship with Mrs. Harriet Oleson, (Scottie MacGregor). All told, we exchanged three or four letters. And I can you, based on the content and attitude of the actress’ letters, she seems to be very much like her television character.

Be that as it may, I have been writing about the last segment of the production, “Little House on the Prairie” and how that the little town of Walnut Grove was, at the end of the television production, ‘blown sky high.’ It would seem that Michael Landon, the founder of the series, and member of the cast, possessed (or was possessed by) an ulterior motive; since he was determined to prevent future TV or movie corporations from reusing this iconic, one of a kind set.

(If that was his agenda, he did a good job of it).

I have written a couple of earlier blogs related to something which I have in common with my eternal Master, Jesus Christ. There was a time when numerous members of His outer circle stepped away from Him, and in so doing renounced His authority over them, and their relationship with Him. Of course, Jesus was deeply hurt, and offended, and He asked the twelve disciples, “Will you also go away?”

Pt. 3

More than once I have ‘been left behind.’ (And I can tell you, it ain’t fun).

The most hurtful example in my personal life occurred several years ago. A dear person dismissed me from their life; without so much as the slightest explanation.

In several subsequent emails I referred to this lack of clarification, and invited the individual to meet with me; (to no avail). And more than once I made the statement, “It seems you have chosen to close one chapter in your life; before opening the one you are living in now.” And while the person denied having done this, I think the ‘proof is in the pudding.’

Though I believe in this case the individual's actions were unwarranted, not unlike the last segment of “Little House on the Prairie,” who can deny there is a time and place to close one chapter before opening the next one?

Philippians 3:13 reminds you and me to,

“Leave the past behind, and turn to all that God has prepared for you.”

I think we can all agree the producers, directors, and cast of “Little House” fulfilled that scripture well, and, without contradiction, there is a time and place to make just as clean a sweep of it as they did.

*To be sure Pt. 3 of this blog does not refer to any of my former classmates, or people I have known for multiplied years.

(to be continued. See "Getting Past the Past")



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 74. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment