Tuesday, November 28, 2017

DR. BILL MEETS DR. JIM


     I attended a counseling seminar in Denver several years ago. It was an exciting opportunity to meet counselors from across the country, as well as notable Christian psychologists, teachers, and authors.

     Focus on the Family co-hosted this event, and Dr. James Dobson was in attendance. It was a wonderful thing to see him in person, and hear him speak.

     The last day of the seminar was finally upon us, and the last speech and prayer had been offered by our host. Dr. Dobson announced that he would “meet and greet” as many as cared to remain behind.

     Immediately, what seemed liked hundreds of people filed into a long line. I decided not to stay, but to walk back to my hotel room. I had hardly moved towards the door when I changed my mind. “No, I didn’t come all this way not to meet the doctor.” So, I turned back and moved towards the back of the line. Only two or three people filed in behind me, and what seemed like hundreds loomed ahead of me.

    Well, James Dobson is a patient man. He proceeded to sign autographs, and pose for pictures. A few times he actually motioned other family members to come up, and have their picture made. I regret I didn’t have my camera with me.

     A couple of hours went by, and slowly, but surely, I moved towards the imminent Dr. Dobson. Just as I reached him, I noticed his wife, Shirley. She was holding her sandals in her hands, and looked exhausted. “Jim, we’ve got to go home!” Well, I would not be denied. I immediately posed my question.

    “Dr. Dobson, if you could give a Christian counselor, working in a church environment, one piece of advice what would it be?”

    He thought a moment, and offered that one bit of guidance;

    “Always be loyal to your clients, your church, your pastor and your God.”

    I think he could not have given me any better guidance.

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

If you wish to share, copy or 'save,' please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment