Monday, November 20, 2017

VIDEO GAMES & BBQ. Pts. 1-3


If you were to accuse me of devoting a significant amount of time and effort to those whom I refer to as ‘interns,’ you would be correct since, interestingly enough, both my former story and the current one include the presence of such a person.

Last night I met one of these ‘potential people of excellence’ in the nearby metropolis of Haines City for the express purpose of offering him the opportunity to sit under my ‘wise counsel,’ training, direction and/or encouragement. We had previously decided to meet at a particular BBQ place; (an establishment which I had once frequented as a reservist on drill weekends).

By now it was dark, and since the parking lot was rather large I had asked ‘Jack’ to text me when he arrived; which he summarily did. And as he and I were seated in an expansive booth, I immediately noticed something which seemed out of place in such an establishment.

Beep. Beep. Bong. Bong. Brrr. Brrr. Hiss. Zoom. Bang.

Distinct electronic sounds flooding my sensibilities

Well, I can tell you the cascade of ‘whatever it was’ was coming from directly behind my left ear, (and as quickly as the sounds permeated my personage I just as quickly realized I would not be able to tolerate the auditory insult). You see, I have a condition referred to as Tinnitus, an incessant ringing in my ears, and the perceived sound of chirping crickets in my ears is plenty and enough for me without the presence of additional sound effects.

As you might imagine, I glanced over my right shoulder and noticed a boy of eight or ten doing the touch screen thing for all he was worth, and it was obvious he was, as too many young people are today, absolutely consumed with one of the latest electronic gizmo’s; (in this case, a video game).

Pt. 2

It might be helpful for my readers to realize that I have never been accused of being overly subtle, nor non-verbal, and I can tell you that the foregoing scenario proved to be no exception.

And with this I looked across the table and said, “Jack, I simply can’t tolerate those beeps, bangs and bongs. We’re going to have to move to another booth.”

(and)

“I wonder why parents don’t reign their children in, and prevent them from sharing those intolerable sounds with their (not so) adoring fans?”

About this time I saw our waitress, and I was about to summon her when the little family behind me completed what they’d come there to do, and prepared to depart the premises.

Having stood from the table, the adult female of the species turned towards me, and exclaimed,

“We’re leaving now.”

(and)

“We’ll let you eat in peace.”

Well, as you might imagine I realized the baritone inflections with which God has graced me, and my lungs which would hardly require a microphone in a convention hall, (much less in the confines of a considerably smaller space) had struck again.

Never one to be caught without an appropriate retort, the stranger’s sudden disclaimer left me almost speechless. All I could say was,

“I’m Sorry. I just can’t tolerate that sort of thing.”

(Or something somewhat similar).

Pt. 3

Perhaps there are a couple of lessons to be gleaned from my recent experience.

As a counselor I am convinced that children, (and not just children) of the 21st Century are hopelessly addicted to electronic devices. Computers. Laptops. Tablets. Smart Phones. (etc., etc.) Everywhere you go people can be seen staring into these devices for long periods of time, doing the touch screen thing, and ignoring every semblance of human interaction around them.

Some teens report spending 8-10 hours a day playing video games, texting friends, taking and transmitting pictures, watching movies, and all things similar. What once passed for the milk of human kindness and camaraderie has metamorphosed into an entirely unrecognizable thing. It is not unusual to see three or four young people seated in a circle, totally absorbed with a 4x3 inch screen, and oblivious of fire, flood or funnel cloud. And sadly enough, the internet is replete with reports of five and six teens dying in horrendous car crashes, as the result of the driver having been preoccupied with a text to a family member or friend.

Lesson #1 - Get your self-absorbed head outta your e-devices, and experience why they called ‘the good ole days’ the good ole days.

Obviously, what goes around comes around, and ‘what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.’ I readily admit my propensity for criticism, and the rather vocal manner in which I practice it. (My wife refers to me as, “The Master of the Unexpected”). One of my pet peeves involves my lack of patience with what I regard as ignorance and stupidity; (among which is the current trend to which I have alluded).

Lesson #2 - Avoid the tendency to be as outspoken with my renunciation of the things with which I disagree, tailor-make the words and wisdom which I decide to impart, and decrease my decibel level so that my opinionations are available only to the one to whom I am presently speaking.

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Pt. 60. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, save or copy, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment