Saturday, November 25, 2017

EVEN IF YOU DON'T. Pts. 1-2


I have been listening to a song on youtube by “Mercy Me” lately, titled “Even If.”

The lyrics and music are compelling. Following is a portion of one stanza.

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

And I immediately thought of long suffering Job of the Old Testament. For you see, in the midst of his pain and suffering and disillusionment with the Almighty, he uttered one of the most poignant statements ever spoken by man.

“Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.”

I mean, we’ve all been there when Disaster, Difficulty, Doubt, Despair, and Disillusionment overwhelm our sensibilities, and challenge our ability to carry on.

Jesus knew the pain of betrayal and loss when many members of His outer circle went away. And I think the human side of our Savior was never more obvious, as He asked the Twelve that heartrending question. “Will you also go away?” (Not to mention His ultimate betrayal and loss, as all but one of the Twelve stepped away from Him during the most crucial season of His life).

Speaking of betrayal and loss, it has taken me a full three years to ‘get over’ an experience very similar to that of our Savior. Granted, that which our Lord endured was so much deeper and darker than anything I have ever endured, but what I experienced was real and personal enough to me, and overwhelmed every fiber of my humanity.

Pt. 2


I think if anyone had a grasp of Disaster, Difficulty, Doubt, Despair and Disillusionment, it was the Apostle Paul.

24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked. I spent a night and a day in the open sea. 26In my frequent journeys, I have been in danger from rivers and from bandits, in danger from my countrymen and from the Gentiles, in danger in the city and in the country, in danger on the sea and among false brothers,… (2nd Corinthians Chapter 11)

I simply cannot imagine.

But my friends, this simply isn’t all there is, and as I have often shared with my clients and church members, “the closer I get, the easier it has become.” This life is like a fog in the morning, and I am convinced that whatever we must endure here will be more than repaid on the other side of this life.

My sister forwarded a photo of my dad to me today; one which I don’t recall seeing before.

The picture depicts my dad at the age of perhaps 65 or 70; 15 to 20 years before God called him home to Glory. When I asked her, Linda informed me that the photograph was snapped in Robbinsville, NC; along a river where my parents had purchased a cabin. It seems my dad was in the process of building a dock, though no structure, whatsoever, can be seen.

In the picture Daddy is wearing the most bedraggled clothes I have ever seen him wear. His jeans are replete with holes, and stains, and his upper body is clothed in a dirty t-shirt. In spite of the condition of his clothing, my father appears to be staring directly into the camera lens, wearing a smile which might easily compete with the sun, and with one hand raised in greeting, (or farewell).

Afterward


Interestingly enough, as recently as I came into possession of this unique picture, it has become my all-time favorite of my dad.

And I think I like it so much because it so well characterizes the journey we know as life and death.

I think the river represents the threshold between this life and the next. That both literal and proverbial river we call Jordan.

My father’s torn and dirty clothing speaks to the trials, troubles and turmoil of life, and the manner in which it inflicts pain and suffering on all of us.

Whereas, the exuberant smile, and raised hand is all about the conclusion of such momentary symptoms, the joy which awaits the redeemed, and that one final opportunity to bid a fond “fare thee well,” but not goodbye.

And if I could select one scripture to accompany the photo, I think I might affix the following caption:

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present life are not worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18)

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "McDonald's Daily Diary." Vol. 70. Copyright pending.

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment