Sunday, October 22, 2017

SPIRITUAL NEUROPATHY. Pts. 1-4


While I cannot account for it, I have been experiencing a general loss of sensitivity throughout virtually my entire body. While I don’t believe ‘neuropathy’ is the exact term to describe it, I suppose it’s close enough.

It seemed to begin about the time I sustained a fall from a ladder onto concrete about five years ago, and broke my ankle; which ultimately required surgery, and an ankle to knee cast. I initially went to a local doctor, and she did the requisite x-rays, and discovering proof of a severe fracture manipulated my leg to determine, well, whatever she thought she needed to determine.

As “Dr. Benson” twisted my lower leg, and ankle this way and that, she seemed to analyze my response to the supposed pain elicited from the manipulation. And during the exercise, she asked,

“How does this feel?”

(and)

“How badly does this hurt?”

To which I responded,

“Uh, I don’t feel any pain.”

(and)

“Sorry, what you’re doing doesn’t hurt a bit.”

The doctor was absolutely flabbergasted, and exclaimed,

“You’re freaking me out!”

Pt. 2

Sometime over the next couple months, I visited the eye doctor, and he wanted to do a glaucoma test; which requires an ocular device to be pressed against the eyeball, and a tiny blast of air to be directed against it.

As the device was set in place, and the test was completed, the doctor said,

“You didn’t even flinch. I’ve had strapping football players cry when I performed this test.”

I love instant butter grits, and over the past few years I’ve discovered from repeated trial, (but no error) that after I do the two minute heat up thing in the microwave that I can easily take the bowl out with my bare hands, and for the life of me, the surface of the ceramic bowl is warm to my touch, but certainly not hot, and not at all uncomfortable.

And it occurs to me that there is a spiritual lesson here.

One symptom which accompanies Leprosy, (which doesn’t happen to be my issue, thank you) is a complete failure of the pain receptors; (not unlike the similar symptom of which I am so familiar).

As a result, lepers are prone to bump their feet against rocks and other hard objects, and are totally unaware when they come into contact with items which emit extreme heat. As a result, many people with this condition are subject to sub-dermal skin damage; resulting in the eventual amputation of fingers and toes.

Pt. 3


All that to say this. I think my body is a lesson unto itself.

I know of no scripture which describes the spiritual implication of my physiological neuropathy any better:

“Being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness.

Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.” (Ephesians 4:18-19)

We are too close to losing touch with the Spirit of the Living God, and the sensitivity we may have once possessed. And, as a result, we subject ourselves to great harm. We not only endanger our relationship with the Creator, but we are in jeopardy of missing out on God’s plans for our lives, and our very salvation is called into question.

“Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron.” (1st Timothy 4:1-2)

However, to continue my metaphor…

There is one portion of my anatomy which remains very sensitive to pain. The soles of my feet; especially my heels.

I head out in the wee hours of the morning and walk a couple of miles, and as a result, my heels tend to develop hairline cracks which, when I walk, “hurt like the very devil.”

Pt. 4

Did I mention my body is a spiritual lesson unto itself? (Well, it is).

Scripture exhorts us to be sensitive to the touch and leading of the Holy Spirit.

 “For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the children  of God.

So, you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.” (Romans 8:14-16)

As I have inferred, my feet are hyper-sensitive to the damage which my daily walk continue to inflict upon them, and they are almost literally crying out,

“Stop. Cease. Desist.”

(and)

“Hey Bub, whatever you’re doing, it just ain’t working.”

My physiological body is virtually at war with itself. The most of it is insensitive to pain, whereas my feet are hypersensitive to it. Again, a spiritual lesson comes to mind.

As believers, some of us are prone to follow the path of least resistance, and stray off the beaten path. Having begun on the “straight and narrow” we, ultimately, find ourselves walking the “crooked and wide.” Our potential for excellence fades with each bad decision, and action which follows it.

However, when we have sullied our lives and testimony for an extended period of time, and our natural enemy slams us around long and hard enough, we may become re-sensitized, and we enter into a renewed state of repentance and restoration.


Afterward

Whereas, I have no idea how or why I initially developed physiological neuropathy, nor whether I will ever recover from its effects, after having been provided the insight to write this devotional, and put it into print, I am even more determined to avoid the spiritual version of this ailment.


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Pt. 72. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, save or copy, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment