Sunday, October 8, 2017

ABDUL & THE QUEEN. Pts. 1-3


Yesterday, my wife and I took in a movie, and, I might say, a rather poignant one for me.

“Abdul and the Queen”

Poignant because I can so well identify with it.

Being left behind sucks, (and I happen to detest that last word). But I think it fits very well here.

I mean, it happened to me three years ago, and it took me that long to begin to move on with my life.

The movie, “Abdul and the Queen” depicts the story of Queen Victoria and a young Indian man, almost 50 years her junior, who is initially “brought on board” as one of her servants; and who, ultimately, transcends into the role of her spiritual teacher.

And while the roles played themselves out somewhat differently, in the past few years I developed an “October-June relationship” with someone of the same ethnic group, as did Queen Victoria. But before you jump to conclusions, it is important to tell you that, very much like the Queen and Abdul, it was of the strictly platonic kind.

At one point in the movie, “Abdul and the Queen” experience a ‘falling out’ based on an historical event over which the former had little or no control; a falling out which threatens to destroy the relationship which they have mutually established.

In my case, I began as “Damini’s” mentor, and over the course of time exercised such a spiritual impact upon her that she relinquished her life-long adherence to Hinduism, and accepted Jesus Christ as her Savior; and subsequently thought of me as her surrogate father.

Pt. 2

Oh, there are plenty of differences between the role which Queen Victoria established with Abdul, but some similarities exist. Whereas, only death, ultimately, terminated the relationship which the Queen and her Indian teacher had so long valued and expressed, in the case of yours truly, my newfound daughter walked away from it; and without so much as an explanation.

Jesus knew the pain of betrayal. At one point in his three year ministry, some members of his outer circle stepped away from their relationship with him. And I think nothing caused Him any more pain during His earthly existence than this particular event; ‘til the cross, itself.

I think the human side of our Savior was never so obvious as when He looked at the 12 and mournfully asked,

“Will you also go away?”

And I have wondered whether that particular experience caused our Lord to steel Himself a bit, and to practice a little less vulnerability; for fear of being emotionally damaged in the future.

And whereas, it has taken me a very long time to recover from my own experience, I think I am somehow the better for it, and I think God has given me the wherewithal to continue to practice vulnerability anyway; just because ministry requires it.

I sang a solo in church last night; a song which has been my mainstay over the course of several years. The third verse, more so than any other, applies to the scenario with which I have been confronted.

“When I’m growing old, and feeble stand by me

When I’m growing old, and feeble stand by me

When I do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand

Thou who never lost a battle, stand by me.”

Pt. 3


My friends, there is life and hope after betrayal.



And while it may require some significant time, it is possible to dream again, and to finish the plans which God dreamed for you, and me before He made the worlds.



I’m glad that Abdul and the Queen found a way to settle their differences, and I’m happy that they remained friends and confidantes throughout the rest of their respective lives.



Sadly, it is not always so, and we are left with little or no recourse, but to go on. And whereas bitterness and unforgiveness often have a field day in such circumstances, it behooves us to adopt the mindset and speak the words which allow us, as individuals, to embrace healing and maturity.



This is not to say that reconciliation is always possible, nor always preferable. There is, after all, a vast difference between forgiveness and reconciliation. Forgiveness does not always demand reconciliation.





Dear Damini, you are forgiven, and I wish you well. I pray God’s fondest blessings over your life. I trust that He continues to dwell in you richly, and that you are always about doing good to them who are in need of your care and compassion. God keep you safe ‘til we meet again.


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 70. Copyright pending 

If you wish to copy, share or 'save' please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment