Saturday, October 21, 2017

A COUNT, NOT A SAINT. AN ANGEL, NOT AN ANTACID. Pts. 1-2

Near the end of the movie, “The Count of Monte Cristo,” we find the main character of the story engaged in a sword fight with his nemesis. Finally, the former gains the upper hand and is about to put the latter out of his misery. And as he is about to succumb to the sword, the villain responds,

“You would do this to your old friend?”
To which the hero of the movie exclaims,
“Hey, I’m a count, not a saint.”
Sometimes, I think we believe we know someone, only to discover we really don’t.
But for the sake of where I wish to take you, allow me to immediately allude to another cinematic production.
In one segment of the television series, “Highway to Heaven,” Mark is experiencing a bit of gas, and he asks Johnathon for assistance. To which he somewhat humorously responds,
“Hey, I’m an angel. Not an antacid.”
Whether a count or angel, I think we can become pretty disillusioned by the thoughts, attitudes, words and actions of those whom we believe we know.
And, no doubt, the same is true of God. I mean, all we have to do is look at what scripture has to say on the subject.
“My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways, your ways.” (Isaiah 55:8-9)
Ain’t it the truth!
We pray and believe and… nothing happens. At least not the something we want to happen.
In the same vein as the cinematic examples, it’s as if our Lord is saying,
“Hey, I’m God. I’m not your celestial errand boy!”
Pt. 2
For what, after all, other than our thoughts not being His thoughts, and our ways not being His ways does scripture have to teach us on the topic?
“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” (1st John 5:14)
If we pray according to God’s will.
Now discovering what the will of God is happens to be a whole ‘nother subject which I may address in the future. However, the implication of the previous scripture is as plain as the nose on your face.
Do you recall that quotation from “Highway to Heaven”?
“I’m an angel, not an antacid.”
I think it’s a whole lot like that with God.
He was, is and always shall be The Supreme Ruler of the Universe, The King of kings, The Lord of lords, The Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and the End, The Great I Am, The Very Savior of the World.
He is, as our British cousins might say, “Very God.” He is not obligated to heal, save, or answer prayer in the manner in which we think it ought to be answered.
Mary, my oldest daughter, is the best personal example I think I will ever have.
She is mentally ill and borderline retarded. God knows, I have seen her in the throes of psychosis, and institutionalized in a mental hospital twice, for a year at a time. And I have prayed the midnight tears when only angels watched; seemingly to no avail. She has lived in an assisted living facility for a quarter of a century.
Can I explain God’s seeming failure to answer my prayers on her behalf?
No, I honestly don’t have a clue.
But I believe they’ll be enough answers to go around, if not now, on ‘the other side.’ All I really know is that God loves my daughter, and though her life is inestimably different than my own, He values her life as much as He does my own.
Afterward
My friends, if we pray according to God’s will, scripture assures us He will hear us, and answer our prayer affirmatively. At the same time, (ask the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11) He sometimes answers our prayers with one or the other additional responses. (‘Wait’ or ‘No’).
I like the words from that popular contemporary Gospel hymn, “Even If” by, “Mercy Me.”
I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
My friends, I WILL serve him whether He ever heals my daughter, (or answers any other prayer I pray) since He has freely given me the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ, has adopted me as His own, and encourages me to call Him, “Abba, Father.”
The closing words of this contemporary song mirror a 150 year old hymn, as well as my mindset on the subject.
“It is well with my soul
It is well, It is well with my soul”

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Pt. 71. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, save or copy, please include the credit line, above






No comments:

Post a Comment