Friday, October 20, 2017

PASTORS & EVANGELISTS. Pt. 7 of 14


Jimmy Swaggart

One cannot see or hear the name without the immediate recall of an infamous video which circulated among the news media at the time, and which is still readily available on Youtube, and other internet sites.

But allow me to navigate away from said video, and return to it later in my story.

At the time, I found myself in my first and only tour of duty in the United States Air Force, (though I, subsequently, served another thirty plus years in the National Guard and reserve forces of this country). My wife and I were attending Bethel Temple in Tampa, Florida, and very involved in the life and ministry of that church. And it so happened that our pastor, Gordon Matheny, was familiar with an illustrious evangelist; (whose ‘hey day’ was primarily during the second half of the 20th century).

As it fell together, the eminent Reverend Jimmy Swaggart was shortly scheduled to preach a revival on the west coast of Florida. And, as you might well imagine, Bro. Matheny encouraged his congregation to attend the series of meetings at a nearby arena. I have long since forgotten whether we made it to one, some, or all of said meetings, but we definitely attended, and we definitely sat under the tutelage of the man.

And though I cannot say that Swaggart’s chosen content or oratory style did all that much for me, I will never forget his exceptional talent as a vocalist and pianist. (Speaking of his family’s obvious melodious wherewithal, Swaggart is cousin to both Jerry Lee Lewis and Mickey Gilley).

Fast forward a decade and a half, and as Paul Harvey was prone to say, there was a “rest of the story.” For as anyone knows (who hasn’t been living on Planet Mars for years) our ‘good’ preacher fell into the arms of sin. (Well, at least into the arms of a couple of prostitutes). And to return to my earlier allusion of a particular video segment, of course ole Jimmy did the confession and tear jerking kinda thing before God, his wife, and his church; only to, (as I have already implied) “get caught with his pants down” a second time.

In terms of my personal involvement with Jimmy Swaggart, (other than having sat in on one of his crusades) it was absolutely nil, at least

Until…

I was involved in a satellite counseling ministry at a nearby church on Saturdays, and during a lull between clients, there was a knock on the office door. As I opened it, a sixty something year old man stood facing me, introduced himself as Rev. Jim R., and asked whether the pastor was available. I explained that I hadn’t seen him, and that I seldom saw "Rev. Simms" on Saturdays.

I invited the good minister to come in, and it wasn’t long before we realized we were acquainted with a couple known to both of us, and that he had, in fact, performed their marriage ceremony. However, something Rev. Jim shared at some length with me was especially interesting. It seems he had sometime before, and during the time of the Swaggart sex scandal, served as his associate pastor.

I will never forget one phrase in particular, which Rev. R. uttered that day.

“I begged Jimmy to get counseling.”

Of course, we all know how all that went.

*To be continued

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 71. Copyright Pending.

If you would like to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above




No comments:

Post a Comment